Top Shelf Aquatics

Auto Top Off Dilemma

phases

I am making an air powered auto top off (basically the same as willtel's Air Powered Auto Topoff in the DIY section) for a tank in the works. My problem is after the pump shuts off the pressure in the carboy keeps forcing water out after the pump is turned off. How do I equilize the pressure in the carboy as soon as the pump shuts off so the water flow stops.

Bigger Carboys usually don't have that problem.

On one of mine it seemed to shutoff fairly quickly, only running excess water out for about 10 seconds which didn't amount to much in my 10 gal.

switch over to an air-lifter to pump the water out directly. you still need to be careful of the siphon-effect though (so keep the output above waterline) and make sure the whole setup is "uphill". but the air-lifter will shut off exactly at the ATO switch's engagement.

I think I might switch to a powerhead auto top off. I'm probably just going to stick a mini jet 404 in a 20L carboy and attach it to a float switch.

Propagator has the right idea. First, you need a shut-off valve so that access water doesnt get into the main tank. Then you need a hole with an airtight plug. Over the course of a day you'll build up alot of pressure and you need to remove the plug daily so that it has a chance to equalize regularly; before doing so make sure you close the valve or this aint gonna work, If you dont do this the reserve will eventually lose enough pressure to stop working and/or implode on itself given enough time. In my trails and tribulations this mechanism was the biggest factor.Oh and if you have the money, the Tunze is totally the way to go. I spent months and money on creating, maintaining and perfecting DIY ATO's when i first step my SPS nano... but nothing is quite as easy, simple and worry free as the Tunze Osmolator. Its worth the money.

Archived