inTank Media Baskets

Can any Clownfish live its life in a 5.5 gallon?

2k3Taco

Is there any type of clownfish that would be happy in a 5.5? Its not likely that I would add an anenome. It is possible that i would upgrade to a 10 gallon in a year, but no larger than that.

im currently in the middle of a cycle with a 2.5, and it wouldnt be much trouble to switch to a 5 so that I can get a fishy. From all my research, only a yellow goby would even work out in a 2.5, and would even be unhappy then...

My favorite is the black and white percula clownfish. A 3" fish in a 5.5 gallon tank is sketchy at best, mho. What do you think?

His tankmates would be:

5 red tip hermits

5 snails

1 cleaner shrimp

If the clown is a no go, other suggestions would be appreciated. I'd like an active fish... one that's as active and interesting as my Oscar would be perfect.

Im also looking at Blue Damsels Chrysiptera parasema, but im not sure how "good" of a fish they are.

the Chrysiptera parasema damsel would be a better choice they stay smaller tops 2.8", clowns can get to 3.5-4", but most marine fish do require 20g+ tanks minimum.

A south seas devil damselfish(fiji bluedamsel) that looks very similar to a yellow tail grows smaller upto 2.4", if you must i'd find one of these.

In can only be cruel to the fish if you put a larger specimen in there.

agreed.. I mean you really should have around 1 inch of fish per 4 gallons of water.. So he would be kinda large.. once you add in rock and sand there is not alot of room for movment.

Archived