Cultivated Reef

Beginner here... I want to set up a nano reef. Help please.

ch0ch

First of all i would like to introduce my self as I am new to the board.. I currently have african cichlids and Ever since a friend of mine got a reef i've been very interested in it...

Now i dont have the cash to start a huge tank up so im lookin at a 5 gallon nano reef tank. Can you guys help me out and tell me what exactly would I need other then a glass 5 gallon tank? and it would really help if you could be specific...

for example I know I need lights, filters, powerheads, heaters, etc... but what kind do I need and what size? ???

P.S. Im planning on keeping stony corals, maybe even a clam if it is possible (?) and some polyps ... so maybe that will help answer my question for what kind of light bulbs I need.

hot damn, I just noticed that my name is spelled wrong on the link to my tank, may it rest in peace.

choch, hit those articles and do some research before you purchase a thing. no point starting until you know what you're in for and how much it will cost you.

Orange Crush

crak: actually your name is spelled wrong once, and correctly once. apparently chris was trying to make up for it by giving you more exposure

Well I read all of that... and it is good info. thank you. But I also wanted to know more about material needs like about what I mentioned.

what do you plan on keeping in the tank? this determines the lighting requirements. Don't skimp on lights as you will, invariably, be looking to upgrade them. It just happens.

I would say you need one aquaglobe powerhead and/or one hob filter (media removed) for water flow. lighting can be as low as a 13w powercompact or as high as metal halides if you so desire. You might need a chiller of some sort (or fans) if you go with any high watt lights.

You need live sand and live rock. Sand can be purchased anywhere and you can even get dead sand and find someone willing to throw a cup of their sand your way.

I would suggest you figure out what you want to keep and research the animals. Then go back and reread the set up suggestions and make a list of the items needed, tailored toward the animals you want to keep.

Thanx guys... i was planning on getting an aquaclear mini... if i remove the media what exactly should i put in it? My friend is going to give me his sand and maybe live rock from his sump so thats taken care of. He told me I should get a 15w powercompact... (good idea?) and a 50w heater that has controls on temperature... but for a chiller i guess i could install a swivel fan on the wooden hood when we build it, if its going to be enough. I already have a powerhead that pushes 102 gph easy and it can be lowered to like 20gph... is this enough?

Im going to have a 5 gallon and in it i plan on keeping lps, mushrooms, and zooanthids... and maybe some little sps frags from my friends tank... and if my tank thrives i will add a fish but that would be the last addition to my tank

Choch:

Love the name. What size Tank have you decided on? Are you of bookworms (13 watts) with bulbs will keep your lighting cost's under 50 bucks and you could even grow some Digitata and other hardy SPS. With 5 Gallons Keep the flow at 100 GPH and get another 50GPH power head as well. I love the Super small tanks like 5's, 2.5's and such.

With free Live Rock, Live Sand an existing powerhead you could easily set up and stock your whole tank for 150 bucks if not cheaper if you join a marine aqaurist's club.

Thanx alot guys... I started purchasing items today... I got a 5.5 gallon regular rectangle tank, and i placed an order with my friend from thatfishplace.com for a titanium 50w (i think) heater and an aquaclear mini.

im gunna go to home depot and buy a light setup... then see what size lights i need and order those ...(power compacts)

i went to the pet store and asked the guy there what i need and he said i didnt even need a power filter... just live rock, sand, and power heads... i thought that was a crock of crap so i ordered the filter anyways...

and one more thing.. anyone ever build a fan into a wooden hooD?

and my friend has a thermostat that shuts power off once it gets to a certain temperature. it has a thermometer and everything on it... could i attach it to the fan? you think this would work?

thanx!

The guy at the petstore was right but I would prefer the ac mini over a powerhead in that small of a tank. You can toss some live rock rubble where the media goes.

Archived