ReefCleaners.org

Harvesting Macro Algae

dickwayne

Hey, a question to people who use macro as a form of nutrient export.

Is it better to let macro grow as much as possable, the idea being that the more you have, the more nutrients it will absorb?

Or, is it more beneficial to harvest it regularly? If so, how much? Also, my refugium is not completely full of macro algae yet, so would it be a good idea to let it completely grow in before I harvest? (Similar to question one)

I have a refugium, so the amount I have in my tank is not an issue.

while the idea is to let the macro extract the wastes/nutrients by building biomass you need to be careful with caulerpas (i dunno about sargassum and such tho). the algae seems to be able to sense (proportion of nutrients available in the water column???) and 'go sexual' to seek to spread itself over a wider area through sporation (thinking it's still in the ocean).

a balance needs to be kept between harvest and overgrowth, while noting that physical growth may not determine overgrowth (the algae mostly watches nutrient levels vs. space, exception may be light surface).

i'd let it 'grow in' with at least a number of holdfasts before pruning any back. i prune my macro every couple of months but i prune my micro weekly (lately it's been daily X) ).

Depends on how much room you have.. I mean ideally the more you reomove the more it will Grow.. Just remember that when pruning it just remove it by the hand full thats what i do.. :) I have eough to fill a 20 gallon tank, so i it out by the hand full evey couple of weeks.

ELGORDOINAVW

the other good thing is you could give some to fellow reefers in your area. this goes with the why throw it away when you can give it to someone, saving them cash. who know's they may even be willing to trade something for it.

Archived