ReefCleaners.org

macro vs cyano question

Paramedic

Hi all,

Still having some problems with the cyano. I have a ton of circulation in my tank and my chemistry is great (finally) but I still have a problem with some cyano. I'm getting a mild amount of hair algae as well. I can keep sucking it out, but it keeps popping back.

Question is, I've searched and read that macroalgae helps significantly by taking up all the nutrients so that cyano can't form and grow. Should I get a small amount of macro and plant it (possibly even in the filter??)? I have a 5.5 nano, and I know it's a perfect thing for a sump, but unfortunately, I don't have a sump for the 5.5 (too little space as it's on an office desk)

Thanks for your input.

Jim

5.5AGA, 2 X 13W CF 1 blue actinic, 1 10000K, visitherm 80W heater, 250 Aquaclear HOB filter, 250gpm Micropump for circ, 6# LS, 11# LR, green brittle, peppermint shrimp, emerald crab, blue leg hermit, small (but growing) zoo colony, 1 featherduster worm hitchhiker growing well. Amm 0, trite 0, trate 15. Temp 78.2-79.7, Sal 1.026

Two forgotten steps. I've done a weekly water change of 10-15%, chemistry is now fine, but cyano still prospers. Also, the tank is just about 3 months old now.

freakaccident

Drop lighting to 8 hours per day over a period of a week and keep it that way until the cyano is gone. After the cyano is gone you can increase to the lighting time again. Your corals won't be affected by the lighting change and may even look better with 8 hours of lighting. Mine do. Only feed a tiny bit of food too. You shouldnt need any macro.

last case senerio you can use chemical fix like Chemi-Clean. I used it and it worked without any harmful side affects that I can tell.

initially to get rid of cyano I increased water flow, siphon, added a poly pad filter, and decreased feeding. I didn't shorten my light time because lights are only on for 7 hrs a day already. None of that worked for me. Than I used half the recommended doseage for chemi-clean and the cyano was gone after 2-3days.

Lot's of people do not believe or trust chemical treatments because of the possible side affects that it can cause.

freakaccident

Save some $$ and use the fresh water maracyn instead of the expensive cyano remover. Crush one tablet up for 10gs.

Did the maracyn, yep the cheap stuff. Did a half tablet and it covered the problem for a few days, and I'll do the lighting shortly.

Thanks for the tips. Will keep you posted on how things go.

Archived