inTank Media Baskets

biased newspaper article

Spencerx

Originally posted by Pikelet

Perhaps the aquarium hobby SHOULD be killed.  I don't know about you but I want to hear ALL points of view on the subject,  not just those of pro-hobbiests.  

I dont mind hearing other points of view either, but when they use INFO THAT IS NOT TRUE to back up what they think it gets you a little upset.

Chamkeeper

Pikelet,

What exactly is standing in front of a bulldozer, that is legally developing land, prove, do, or save? Apperently you completely missed my point. They may have the greatest cause in the world, but burning buildings and destrying property is not only illegal and immoral, it not going to solve the problem long term. Do we need to look into all aspects of this hobby? Hell yes, that's why this site is here and why we gather here to discuss the pros and cons, do and don'ts, and focus on doing the best we can for the creatures for whos lives we have accepted responsibility. Hey, there are people that shouldn't own any pets, they don't take the responsibility seriously, but do you really think throwing a brick through their window will make them a better pet owner? Want to save some animals, both pets and wild creatures, write your congressman or congresswoman and voice your opinion responsibly.

As far as "My Guts", no guts to break the law? Terrorize my fellow countrymen? I call that idiocy, brains learn how the system really works, watch the people changing it, and follow their lead.

It takes a pathetic group of ppl to break the law to prove their point X) It also is pretty rediculous that they think by publishing this article in a newspaper will make any difference to the aquarium hobby :ermm: They could've published this article in every paper across the country, and it wouldn't do $hit! Think about it this way...

"dogs need to roam the woods to feel comfortable in their natural surroundings. dogs are unethically bound to their masters homes when kept as pets"......

....would that BS stop any american from buying a puppy for Christmas.... let me think a minute here...NO! maybe 0.0001% would change their mind after reading that BS in a newspaper.

My point here is, even if that they're doing nothing but BSing in a newspaper, they're never gonna stop ppl from enjoying the aquarium hobby 'til theres a law that says they cant. ;)

PETA is a joke, a bad joke at that. They have made themselves impotent. I think that animals should be treated better myself, but the extreme views and actions of this group is going to make any legitimate gains twice as hard to accomplish. If you have a good cause, and these jerks throw their proverbial hat into the ring, it's as bad as the kkk showing up to rally on your side. They just add a built in hostility and resistance, and any undecided factions will quickly make up their minds against you.

If animals do need a voice, I'd hope they would get one that wasn't below their IQ level.

Originally posted by Chamkeeper

Pikelet,  

What exactly is standing in front of a bulldozer, that is legally developing land, prove, do, or save?  Apperently you completely missed my point.  They may have the greatest cause in the world, but burning buildings and destrying property is not only illegal and immoral, it not going to solve the problem long term.  

The laws of this land are written in favor of uncontrolled development and sprawl and that makes it very difficult for a community to say "NO" we dont' want these projects. That is precisely the reason people passionately in favor of conservation resort to violence of the type to which you refer. They have no other avenues open to them because big money controls politics in this country at all levels and they simply don't have the money or clout to get their point across.

No one condones these actions but when the law no longer meets the needs and aspirations of communities wishing to conserve nature, laws will inevitably be broken.

lol a response someone sent in to the paper today: "PETA spokeswoman Heather Moore is right. You shouldn't go looking for Nemo- I enjoyed him and several of his friends last night at LaVecchias [a seafood restaurant]". :D

I didn't realize this many people hated hippies. It gives me hope to see them reviled to this extent.

P.S. To the person that said that many of greenpeace's actions are worthy of praise not abuse. I would argue that groups such as green peace and peta (and other various radical environmentalist groups, aka dirty hippy congregations) are similar to groups such as monkey wrenchers and brick throwers in that they do more harm than good with their antics. Though I might agree with some of there more general beliefs, such that humans should take some care in our industrial projects not to cause an unnecessary amount of damage to "nature" , I disagree with their general outlandish methods of trying to have their message heard. Being overly radical (as in my opinion peta and green peace can be) simply gets the message ignored as the ranting of "nut bars" and also gets that brand placed upon those who are putting more serious, and likely to be effectual (if the hippies didn't ruin it for us all), effort in attempting to protect bio diversity. Therefore though green peace and peta may have coincidentally done some good, we should abuse them all until they agree to shave, take showers, stop wearing patouli, and try to be reasonable.

Matt Peacock
Originally posted by Flipturn88

Do we really need to even waste our time worrying about those PETA freaks anyways??

Because they have managed to get published rubbish, which in my opinion is outrageous. Didn't anyone proof read the article? Didn't they even do just a little research on the internet? Unbelievable. I cannot stand it when absolute untruths are instilled in people. We are aquarists so we know what is right and wrong about fish, but that's just us. A mechanic might read a car article and see loads of holes, we would read it and think "Yeah, OK."

Originally posted by Pikelet

Perhaps the aquarium hobby SHOULD be killed.  I don't know about you but I want to hear ALL points of view on the subject,  not just those of pro-hobbiests.  

Then we shouldn't keep cats, mice, hampsters, rabbits, horses, ponies, dogs, gerbils, birds...More importantly we shouldn't farm animals.

I'm pro-hobbiest to an extent. I can't really agree with keeping birds in a small cage as I feel they need to fly. Similarly I wouldn't keep a sterlet in a 500 ltr pond. It all depends on how far you want to take it.

Matt

Chamkeeper

Zontar,

EXACTLY my point, I don't whole heartedly think the PITA and Greenpeace folks are wrong. I commend their passion, however, I don't condone their sometimes unlawful acts. Granted, the system may not be right, but two wrongs....

I offered an example of what I think is a better method of changing things. A guide to getting things changed by a special interest group, the NRA. I too, think animal rights groups loose a lot of credibility and audience through radical behavior. I also think that if they want everyone else to hear their side of the argument, they should be prepared to hear, and potentially accept, opposing facts. Not propaganda, fact, scientific, historically supported, FACTS. Conversely, we should all listen to respectfully, lawfully presented, tracable, scientifically standard, points. I want a group of people to challenge my way of thinking, but I don't need a brick through a window if I disagree.

OscarBeast

They would get my attention if they came up with some studies that actually provided proof of the claims they make and if they worked from a factual standpoint. The same goes for anything else really.

ive been gone for a week so here is my reply to absolutc

clownfish have mean characteristics, and at the same time become "friendly" to other living organisms. im saying that fish cant love or hate like people do. if another fish dies, it is eaten by other fish. if a fishes mate dies, it eats it and finds a new mate(not all animals, some keep same mates for life, i know i know).

dogs cower from their owners because they know the consequences when they dont obey, and when they dont obey, they are punished. their brains tell them to learn from their mistakes. u can believe that dogs have souls and go off to doggy heaven when they die. its ur opinion i guess.

where in the hell is it in my post when i talk about clownfish swimming millions of miles away from their host. read the damn post before u respond!

westkyracer

Pervert Enjoying Ti*s and A$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do enjoy the chicks that get naked for PETA.

Anyway its just another Liberal spouting off before having any Idea what she was saying.

Originally posted by HiRes60

ive been gone for a week so here is my reply to absolutc

dogs cower from their owners because they know the consequences when they dont obey, and when they dont obey, they are punished.  their brains tell them to learn from their mistakes.  u can believe that dogs have souls and go off to doggy heaven when they die.  its ur opinion i guess.

where in the hell is it in my post when i talk about clownfish swimming millions of miles away from their host.  read the damn post before u respond!

My dogs dream. My dogs also have this persona about them, as if they were once human. You obviously do not have as many animals as some of us do, therefore you are making generalizations that should not be made. Have you ever had a dog start into your eyes, smile and wag their tail? Ever had one come up to you and look at you, give you a kiss and then snuggy next to you?

Obviously not. Alot of people don't beleive in doggy heaven. I don't beleive in heaven, but if it does exist and we are going there, so are our animals.

Archived