inTank Media Baskets

treatment for Bob my clownfish...

samstersam

Mr. Bob my ocellaris clownfish started rubbing on rocks and had some heavy breathing(got him a few days ago)...I had no QT tank available so I dropped him in my 10 gallon salt mixing tank (had premade salt water for water change purposes), raised the temperature and dosed formalin and malachite green. I left him there for a day.

His rubbing is gone and I'm about to put him back in the reef tank. (yes I know there is a risk the parasites are still in the main tank, but Bob is no longer stressed. I believe he was originally stressed from the shipment from LFS to my house....so now that he is not stressed and comfy comfy he might be able to shake off the buggers...)

Question: I know the malachite green probably leached into the silicone of my salt mixing tank....if i rinse the tank where i quarantined him, is it ok to continue using the tank as a salt mixing tank for my nano-reef? Or will the malachite that leached into the silicone seals (maybe the formalin too) somehow make its way into the main reef tank ? should i get a new mixing tank?

thanks guys.

i wouldn't risk the leaching of the malachite or the formalin. i would think the formaldehyde stays around but i ain't no chemist. just use a bucket or a large measuring cup. you shouldn't change too much at a time imo anyway and those containers are more consistent quantities.

if the main tank is only FOWLR then i'd raise the temp (86F~88F) to accelerate the life cycles of all the nasties so they burn themselves out without a host to leech off of (couple of weeks at least). if it's a reef then you might want to do a longer term, lower temp attack to keep fro stressing the other livestock (a month or more).

Archived