Cultivated Reef

bad a$$ royal gramma

robertmun

I just added a new six line wrasse to my 20g reef.

My royal gramma (the only existing fish) is bullying him bad.

Aside from removing either fish or rearranging the tank, what can I do? I was planning on adding a pair of false percs at some time. Would adding them now do any good or cause more problems?

I think the gramma is planning on trading the wrasse to my peppermint shrimp for two cartons of cigarettes, so any help would be appreciated.

When I introduced my clownfish, my gramma picked on him big time too for a while. Ultimately the two have their own territory and the gramma has stopped being such a thug. He will still do the 'open mouth R-E-A-L wide' thing if he's in a ####y mood to the clown, but no harm no foul. I thik the grammas are more bark than bite.

I would give it a little time and see if it gets better.

HTH!

Agreed. Watch carefully. If it gets worse, do what's necessary. I had a couple of dottybacks that picked on fish, but ultimately, they worked out their differences and coexisted fairly peacefully.

Yeah, mine does the wide-mouth thing too, but he nips as well.

I thought that introducing another pair of not-so-timid clowns might keep the gramma back in his usual caves (he's pretty much taken over the entire tank since the prior 2 fish passed).

If you can, try moving the gramma to another tank for a day or two ... rearrange your rockwork a bit ... then reintroduce him.

He'll be low fish on the totem-pole again and will probably be much, much nicer since he's in a "new" tank.

Archived