Top Shelf Aquatics

What's the smallest AquaClear that will fit a heater?

BlkGto

Hi guys,

I'm helping my brother get into the reef hobby so am currently helping him set up a 7G minibow. It was between that and the 6G Eclipse but I thought the 7G was better b/c it's glass. He intends on moving it to school and back probably once/twice a year so I think a glass tank would be safer. Don't want the acrylic get scratched up. :blush:

So, I'm thinking of setting up an aquaclear in the back to hold the heater and have a space to hold carbon(etc...). Also, this will allow me to build a small overflow compartment which will also allow me to place a float switch. It's like a thousand pluses! :D

I would like to get the smallest aquaclear I can though b/c I like to use the flow from the aquaclear to break surface tension but not use it as the only source of current in the tank. With an aquaclear 300, I'm thinking that may be a bit too much current. My extra 150 at home looks like a good size but I don't think I've seen a heater THAT small.

What's the smallest AquaClear HOB that you guys have used and which heater did you match it w/?

Thanks!

Littleoceans

Try a aquaclear 300 with a toric 50watt heater and a 150 prop.... it will have enough current flow so you won't need a PH, but not too strong to blow your sand around.... I have been using this setup for 3 months... no problems... see my treads...

freakaccident

I use a mini and I have a tronic 50w in it. It sticks above the min waterline a bit but it works fine and has been for a long time.

Originally posted by Littleoceans

Try a aquaclear 300 with a toric 50watt heater and a 150 prop....

That's a good idea. I never thought of taking the impeller from the 150 and sticking it on the 300. Haha. Now I'm gonna stick the 300 impeller on the 150 and watch the water fly!!!

:D

It's funny you mention tronic cause i have an extra 50W laying around at home. Is this the smallest heater that is currently available though? I've had this thing for more than two years now so I'd imagine they'd come out w/ something smaller by now.

drsfostersmith.com has this mini 50w heater that is 6" long available. I have never used it myself, and am unsure of its reliability, but it is something quite small for a 50 watter. HTH

I just purchased the heater that katydidit mentioned from drfostersmith.com. I just received it today, and am working on settings up my first tank. When I get it up and running I will see how it works. It is nice and small.

horsehunter

I have had the odd Aquaclear on my freshwater tanks fail to restart after a power outage, and although I like the idea of getting the heater out of the tank I wonder what would happen in this situation. Has anyone had this happen? I cant recal if the filter was dry after this happened or not.

Frank

ELGORDOINAVW

horsehunter, i'm not sure if your saying if your aquaclear failed or not, but take the motor off and clean the impeller. if that doesnt work you could always use a powerhead to pump water into the filter. then you place some rock in there, a little macro and walla a homemade fuge, and you get to hide the heater, a plus!!!

Archived