Innovative Marine Aquariums

Target Mandarin Advice

moonjellii

My understanding is that if you really want to have happy dragonets, you need to have a tank that is less than pristine. In other words, let the algae get out of hand, keep feeding, and just generally let the tank turn into a pigsty, without letting water quality suffer too much. Every small tank I have ever seen which had a happy dragonet in it was simply overtaken with macroalgae, microalgae, and was generally the opposite end of the spectrum from a SPS tank. Copepods like funky conditions, dragonets like copepods. I am by no means even remotely an expert on this, as I have only ever kept one dragonet, and that was in a 120. It doesn't take any special knack or technique to keep a dragonet in a 120. In a small cube, thats another story.

Just my 2 cents...

- Josh

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mwp, that's really interesting what you've done. I applaud you! I created a sort of food chamber for my mandarin out of plastic cups, inspired by a friend's suggestion to put some frozen food into a baby food jar in the corner of the tank for the mandarin. the first time I tried it, my arrow crab got to all the food before the Mandarin did. The second time I tried it, the Mandarin ended up eating everything in the food chamber. I began by releasing him into the tank but his competition is a fiesty clown fish that likes to nip at my hand whenever I move things around int he tank. He's a real cute one and is really energetic. Anyway, i had a huge surge in my pod population recently probably due to the extra feeding i've been doing. I see the Mandarin nipping at things in the rock, most likely pods though its hard for me to see exactly what he's nipping at. He does this a couple times every minute and as far as his belly, it's not rounded like it should be, but he hasn't gotten skinnier. I know it's only been a few days, but we'll see how my feeding chamber works out for him. I try to make sure its full of food and the clown never goes near it because he's too busy swimming in the water column to notice the feeding chamber full of food.

What kinds of supplements do you guys recommend for the Mandarin? Right now he's got a diet of Cyclopeez and Pods but I'd like him to be as healthy as possible. Most websites I've read just say to breed pods but I'm sure there are other ways to feed a mandarin.

He's accepting the Cyclopeez pretty well although I don't think it's his favorite food as he won't nip at it if its floating in the water column. He'll pick at it once its settled towards the bottom or on the rock but cyclopeez have a tendency to float around for a while before settling. Most of it stays in the feeding chamber I made though :)

Thanks for all the support and advice guys! I really appreciate it!

Awesome info and advice and amazing pics, mwp :) That's the kind of plausible post that demonstrates keeping a mandarin in a nano is for those who are willing to put the effort required into doing so.

What kinds of supplements do you guys recommend for the Mandarin? Right now he's got a diet of Cyclopeez and Pods but I'd like him to be as healthy as possible. Most websites I've read just say to breed pods but I'm sure there are other ways to feed a mandarin.

Long term, most all the Synchiropus I've had will accept anything offered, it just takes a long time and you need to keep offering it mixed in with foods that they WILL eat. I.e., I don't think enriched frozen brine is a bad food (i.e. they enrich with various different ingredients like spirulina or omega-3's..) I also think frozen Mysis is a GREAT food, and it can be soaked with Selcon, Garlic, Vitamins, or even dusted with powdered supplements (i.e. Naturose). Of course, once you get the mandarin accepting pellet foods (Formula 1, Spectrum Marine) I think you've sealed the deal on having a long-lived and healthy (and fat) mandarin!

Matt

I've heard of people having a lot of success feeding roe to mandarins. Get it at the supermarket. It's basically fish eggs. That feeding jar idea should work fine with it.

Mandarins are hit and miss as far as I'm concerned. I've had probably 6 of them, first four died :(

But I've been able to keep one in my 80g for about two years now. He feeds mostly on pods but he does accept Arcti and Tigger Pods (http://www.reefnutrition.com/tiggerpods/index.htm). You can also buy copepods bagged.

I would say give him a try. I have a full grown mandarin in my nano that feeds off pods. He won't eat the Arcti's but he'll eat the Tigger pods. He was the first one in after cycling. He's been in there for about 3 weeks.

P1010166.jpg

P1010167.jpg

P1010176.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Mandarins are hit and miss as far as I'm concerned. I've had probably 6 of them, first four died

He was the first one in after cycling. He's been in there for about 3 weeks.

This is just sad, how could you even post these pics and comments in this thread?

wow, that's some really good advice. however i still not feel like trying.

if however, i wanted to keep one at some point, what whould you say would be an appropriate sized tank for keeping one mandarin (if the tank is very well established and you have a fuge, that is about 10% the size of the display) comfortably, without having to worry? Counting the minimum requirement of 75 lbs of LR from melevs site and approximately a pound of LR per gallon, that would be (hang on a sec, i have to calculate) about 75g? Or what do you think?

so what... am i the first person to have a fish die?

no but I dont think you are intelligent enough to realize you cant keep one. I mean WTF right after its cycled. you probably have a pod population of 12.

I had my old 75g with 100lb rock and was setup for about 5months and alot of cheato. I was even worried but there where tons and he ate frozen to. Then he got sucked into a filter one day cause the strainer came off and i didnt see it :(

Your new mandarin will be dead within a few months

so what... am i the first person to have a fish die?

I think its time to give up the Mandarin dream. First fish in = epic mistake. Touting that you have kept it alive for 3 weeks = priceless.

3 WHOLE weeks? WOW!

You would think that after the first 4 died you would have learned your lesson....

It saddens me that you kill such beautiful fish for your own enjoyment. I won't say I've never had a fish die, but I've never, ever, ever made the same mistake twice. If I can't figure out why a fish died, I won't try that species again. Granted most of my experience is in freshwater, but the same morals apply.

mwp - Beautiful photos and magnificent work! You truely have given these fish every bit of attention and care that they need to not only survive but thrive. I would love a mandarin but I know I don't have the time nor resources to care for one, so I stick to more forgiving species.

no but I dont think you are intelligent enough to realize you cant keep one. I mean WTF right after its cycled. you probably have a pod population of 12.I had my old 75g with 100lb rock and was setup for about 5months and alot of cheato. I was even worried but there where tons and he ate frozen to. Then he got sucked into a filter one day cause the strainer came off and i didnt see it :(Your new mandarin will be dead within a few months
really... i have one in my 80g for about two years now. guess i have a bit of intelligence.thanks for the best wishes on wishing death to my mandarin...much appreciated.
I think its time to give up the Mandarin dream. First fish in = epic mistake. Touting that you have kept it alive for 3 weeks = priceless.
no...i'll keep dreaming. fyi im not touting, i only made the point that i had one on my nano for 3 weeks with positive results.
3 WHOLE weeks? WOW!

You would think that after the first 4 died you would have learned your lesson....

It saddens me that you kill such beautiful fish for your own enjoyment. I won't say I've never had a fish die, but I've never, ever, ever made the same mistake twice. If I can't figure out why a fish died, I won't try that species again. Granted most of my experience is in freshwater, but the same morals apply.

mwp - Beautiful photos and magnificent work! You truely have given these fish every bit of attention and care that they need to not only survive but thrive. I would love a mandarin but I know I don't have the time nor resources to care for one, so I stick to more forgiving species.

maybe if one of would ask me how the first four died there would be some more understanding.

first one had some sort of disease. i brought him to my lfs where they could offer little help. he had some sort of disease (maybe infection) which was causing a hole to form in his body. the whole got bigger and bigger and my lfs euthanized him.

second, had him for about three months. couldn't find him one day and after some searching i found him dead in the overflow. myaybe he jumped in??

third, watched him hovering over my sabae and he must have got stung by it. he fell in front of it and sat there for about an hour. took him to my lfs to see if they could help, he died there a few hours after i dropped him off.

fourth, i believe was sick when i got him (imo). he died a few days after I got him.

i have two currently now. one in my 80g that i've had for about two years and one in my nano thats been fine for about 5 or so weeks now.

i don't expect you or anyone to have an understanding of the situatiuon. its not as if i bought them to kill them. you can continue to think whatever you like and i really wouldn't care either way. but atleast ask what happened before you go and form opinions and criticize.

You know, I'm sure we all agree that having fish die is not something pleasant. Sometimes we make mistakes and sometimes things just happen. Maybe instead of bashing on each other we can all just try to share constructive advice. This way, we all learn from our mistakes and those of others. I think spreading that knowledge will save more fish than yelling at someone, so let's be constructive, yeah? I don't know about other people, but the thing I like best about NR is that people actually help rather than yell and argue. I'd like to keep it that way :) It's more fun!

People yell and argue because they're passionate about something. I've never seen anyone get upset of something they dont care about. Honestly you should be happy, you actually got a lot of good information from a lot of these posts. Honestly thats about as much info as one would need IMO. Good luck with your mandarin. Wish you the best.....

And i'm still vouching for the sticky thread on not starting Mandarin threads, there is more then enough information available thru "search" once you filter thru the hate. That would serve as a great way to get the info you need and get a general idea as to what happens in these threads.

Cheers.

Yeah, I did get lucky. I got a LOT of useful advice and I really appreciate it all. It's jsut there's so much hate to sift through to find all the useful information so I can see why people might get confused and just want to start their own thread. Maybe if we had a single thread that went over all of the useful info? :)

*edit* p.s. I know what you mean about yelling about things because you're passionate. But sometimes it's just not constructive and while we're all here to share our experiences and our love for this hobby, I think if you're truly passionate about this hobby, you'd do what you can to help others enjoy it too. Share your wisdom. Generally speaking, people will take your advice to heart if you don't yell but just make suggestions :)

I havent looked but i'm sure you've started another thread besides this one. And i'm pretty sure that everyone was probably really helpful. This is a great place to find a lot of great smart people about the hobby. However, these fish really have a tough time and the people here are being just as nice by telling you sternly not to do it.

And with that my friends I leave you for the night. You were all great NANO REEF. I'll see ya in the morning.

really... i have one in my 80g for about two years now. guess i have a bit of intelligence.thanks for the best wishes on wishing death to my mandarin..

I dont care u have one in you 80 for 2years. the fact that You are dumb enough to put one in a nano tank that has just cycled and basically has ZERO food in there shows you really dont know and just got lucky on the 80g

Sorry if I was a bit harsh. I may be out of line.

I just hate to see such beautiful fish (which were likely captured wild) taken out of our ocean to die in captivity. I just feel like they deserve every bit of caution and care that you can possibly provide if you do choose to keep them, and putting one into a freshly cycled tank with no food supply just seems reckless.

Fish can take months to die of starvation. I certainly don't wish that upon any creature. I hope he survives, but as many others have reported, his chances are slim to none in his current tank. People don't warn you about this to make you mad, they do it for the good of the animal.

Archived