Cultivated Reef

"other" macro algea

Greenstar

I am really againist using caulerpa in reef tanks for anyone in area that is costal as the stuff is super adaptive and invasive. I was looking into cheatomorpha, but found it has it's limitations, (slower growing, lack of roots, old growth gets pushed to the bottom and falls apart). What about something like sargassum or gracillia (sp?)? Do they grow fast, manageable, work well in confined spaces? What other species work?

I am really againist using caulerpa in reef tanks for anyone in area that is costal as the stuff is super adaptive and invasive. I was looking into cheatomorpha, but found it has it's limitations, (slower growing, lack of roots, old growth gets pushed to the bottom and falls apart). What about something like sargassum or gracillia (sp?)? Do they grow fast, manageable, work well in confined spaces? What other species work?

Ive found halimeda works. Ive also heard that maidens hair algae works well.

yes it uses Ca rapidly. You can use that as a gauge, though, too. If it starts looking cruddy, you're low on Ca. I'd just use chaeto. It is still very rapid growing and rather easy to manage.

Archived