ReefCleaners.org

why is my macro not growing?

channah

I have both grape caulerpa and halimeda in my main tank, but it doesn't seem to be growing, especially the halimeda. Everyone said I'd have to prune the grape alot, but it's growing very slowly. The hair algae is less, but is still growing, even on the halimeda??!!!???!!

agreed.. The more Your Micro Algaes grow show that you have more Nutients in your water..

So if your water is clean.. or cleaner than most then its not going to grow awhole lot..

could be that your plant nutrients are low, i.e. phosphate, iron, magnesium, or calcium (for the halimeda). the halimeda will definitely suck out the calcium in your system as fast or faster than a clam or stony imo.

the hair algae will almost always out compete the halimeda. it can out pace the grape too depending upon the conditions (ime the older the bulbs or color shift the more advantageous to the hair).

i'd start with the iron, calcium, and magnesium. i would never think of the phosphate tho, i just listed it for reference sake. hth

Maybe start with adding Additives like Magnesioum?

Other than that.. what are the rest of your levels.. Becouse if you have Zero Nitrates then there is no food.. Maybe increase your feeding a little bit?

sahin,

i'd try using higher kelvin bulbs 10000K to use to grow the macro. ime the macro seems to grow better or equal to the micro under the high K's (definitely anecdotal advice here : ), normally the micro outpaces the macro tho.

whatever benefits one usually benefits the other so it'd be hard to favor one over the other without manually pruning. you could try adjusting the flow/current (which favors macro) but you may end up with micro growing everywhere that the current isn't strong. X) you could try positioning the macro to get the most light, best holdfasts, algae scrubber/refugium, and of course microalgae grazers.

as tooloud suggest, the mg should help (both). mg is the central atom of the chlorophyll molecule so exporting or growth limits it in the system. micro, macro, and coralline all uses it with coralline using the most (MgCO3 and chlorophyll). wc's should help keep mg stable but i always dose it (surprise surprise :P ).

Archived