ReefCleaners.org

Kalkwasser..How much?

Rehype

Hey i was going to start dosing kalkwasser to my tank and figured id let my ato do all the work. how much should i add to my top off bucket?Thanks for any feedback

Excellent article, I would have been hard pressed to author something any better. As with the author of the article I have had my best luck following the same basic routine whether it was my 240 gallon reef tank or 10 gallon nano. I am constantly dripping Kalk to my tanks to keep ahead of evaporation keeping my tank levels constant.

I have two drippers(1 x quart sized and the other 1 x Gallon) that are DIY that I made just for this purpose that get rotated though my tanks as required. I have two glass "Ice Tea" jars that I use to mix my Kalk in with R/O water. This works great as the sediment that will seperate from the solution will settle to the bottom below the spigot used to fill my dripping units. This method also keeps the crust like film at the top of the mixture from entering the dripper as well allowing me to get only the clear mixture inbetween these two layers of impurities.

Dripping Kalk isnt the most convinent method of boosting calcium in the tank when compared to the two part products that are available but I have had a more dramatic effect using Kalk and have been using this method for about 5 years.

This stuff is pretty potent at boosting the Ph levels rapidly so add it gradually and slowly as it can easly boost Ph levels beyond what your test kit can measure, especially in smaller tanks!

Archived