Top Shelf Aquatics

AC200 for 2.5

2k3Taco

I swapped out the AC-Mini for an AC-200 (did you know they have the same motor?) will this be harmful to my tank? I went to the 200 for increased water volume.

200gph in a 2.5 gallon isa LOT of turbulence.

Ok well 200 GPH is allmost 80 Time turn over rate, Really ideally you want to depending on the corals start at about 10 times.. I personally run about 25 times on my 72 gallon reef..

As long as your corals are not getting blown off the rocks and your fish are not getting stressed out by fighting to stay swimming then you would be ok..

Ofcourse you have removed the media from the filter right?

I don't know about the 200, but the 150 is a good fit on my 2.5. I run most of the time with it shut down to its minimum, but If I'm cleaning the tank, I crank it up to full blast with the sponge in place to catch the debris. This blows one side of my ricordia up, and exposes its stalk, but it doesn't seem to react negatively in the short amount of time I do it. I have it positioned on the back all the way to one side(back corner) of the 2.5, so I have high current on one end, and low on the other. I had planned on dropping it in the middle, but I was building the plexi top for the tank, and one corner snapped to about the depth of the HoB, So I made the cut from there instead of in the middle. I used some 3/4" that I had laying around, and it's not easy to work with. My point being, that if you find the current to high for some things, you may want to position it to try and compensate before you go for adjusting your impeller etc. I know that my discsoma wandered until it found a low current area at the bottom in a crevice in the middle of the tank. It's happy as the proverbial clam.

Um, what was the question? heh. I don't have the 200, but I have the 150 on a 2.5, and it works great. Plenty of surface action, not too much current. I would think that the 200 would work just fine.

*Edit*

According to Hagen's web site...

The min current you can set the control on the 200 is 66gph(26.4 per gallon). That is probably the number you want to look at.

The min on my 150 is 50gph, which is not that large a difference.

Archived