Cultivated Reef

anyone with this experience?

Crakeur

LITTLEFISHEE

I am pretty sure that the large bristle I had in my tank killed my 2 toadstool leathers. There were 3 large worms, the largest being 6 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. I didn't have any zoos at the time, but the leathers had small chew marks on the base. They eventually turned black and disintegrated. I lured them out of their homes at night, and one by one stabbed them with hypodermic syringes. Then they got the big flush!

tig, that pic was taken off a site that had info on fireworms. didn't say if it was a coral eater although this worm has clearly taken to eating leathers and I am now assuming zoos as well.

it's sad. The zoos are replaceable but a leather of this size is not so easy to come by. Not that it is dead but it sure as hell has taken some damage.

LITTLEFISHEE

IMO, get that fat bastard out of there!!! My leathers were my favorite corals, although they were young. Do you think if you remove the worm and give the coral and iodine dip to fight infection, along with a few doses of Vitamin C it would survive? Is the tissue starting to turn brown?

the leather shoudl survive, provided the snake doesn't attack it again tonight. I keep checking the tank for signs of the beast but it has yet to rear it's ugly head.

maybe you can frag off a piece of the leather while it's still alive and put it in your other tanks just incase the worm wants to snack again. And someday it will big like how pappa use to be.

I'm bringing the digital to work tomorrow with the hopes of catching the bugger on film (so to speak).

update in the morning.

Archived