Top Shelf Aquatics

Green Star Polyps...What happened? picture

smallreef

I've had these Green Star Polyps in my tank for months now. It has done great, opens all day long everyday and has spread like crazy.

I did a routine weekly 3 1/2 gallon water change yesterday morning and they have not opened since. I can't figure out what is wrong. The salinity is the same, there are no temp. fluctuations, nothing else seems to be affected, I used Distilled water like always from the same batch of 12 bottles i bought at the same time, all parameters seem to be fine. The only thing I did different was bought a bottle of stress coat to add to the water instead of the stuff I use by marineland as stress coat has a more slimy consistancy and I added a fish yesterday. Does anyone know what is going on? or has this happened to any of you? here are some pictures

starpolyps1.txt

starpolyps2.txt

Nishant3789

they look fine to me........they go back into their "holes" every now and then, its perfectly normal they should be back up in a few days if not sooner, ive seen them go under for up to 2 or 3 weeks before. i think it has sometihng to do with cleaning themselves off or something i dunno. but dont worry

Well they look allright, Just They look really White? I mean mine resead like that but it all stays Purple? allmost looks like they are Bleaching out?

Thanks for the responses...the picture makes them look more of a whitish color than they actually look in the tank. What is waxin?? Until yesterday morning they looked great since I got them months ago..

This picture was taken of them less than a weeks ago

well as you can see from my shot, I just took it fast.. So its not the best..

But it has a nice Deep Purple Base to it..

1169Stars.jpg

So that would be my only concern.

I definately see the difference yours is a very deep purple color...As far as I remember the base of mine was always this color. Could the base of star polyps bleach? All other corals appear to be healthy

What kind of lighting do you have on your tank..

i have seen some Stars slowly bleach out due to the lack of light.. i had a friend with a 55 gallon with just a 4x 36 inch NOs.. and his stars where going all white.. base and all.. and i installed a Halide for him and they went back to being Really dark.. took some time.. but they did..

I have a 65 watt pc smartlamp and 20 watt NO (50/50) bulb. The tank is 29 gallons and the star polyps are 10 inches directly under the light. Again remember that in the pictures I posted the mat gives a much whiter appearence than in person where it is a darker purplish color however not as dark purple as the post by toooloud but I never remember the mat ever being that dark even when it was under much more powerful lighting in the store. I just think if it was a lighting issue their health would have declined over a period of time, not just be extremely extremely healthy looking for like 3-4 months and then just not open one day

also to add which makes me think its definately not the lighting is that on the other side of my tank there is a very very small tonga branch covered in green star polyps that i ripped off the same frag when I first got it. It is also not opening all of the sudden

well i know that cameras can be very Deciving..

I would give it a couple more days, Could be just going through a Phase.. but if nothing comes out in a couple more days, Try moving them up a bit..

i dont know exactly what waxing is, but I know sometimes GSP can go IN to do it and theyll stay in for some time to do so.... :)

check your alk and ca levels i know when ever mine gets to low my GSP all close up. but once that is fixed they are out again in no time. just my 2 cents

Orange Crush

i have two types of gsp in my tank: one has a bright purple mat, and the other is the same type you have there. I don't know about them not opening, but my others have the same very light colored mat that yours do, so I wouldn't worry about that part at least.

Archived