SaltCritters.com

White Spots On Snails

tubatime1010

It began with this margarita snail...but now all of my snails have it...what are these mysterious white spots on my snail's shells?

post-31328-1196474897_thumb.jpg

Anyone have a clue?

(Sorry for the bad picture. The rock is slightly green as a result of a recent algae outbreak.)

The Propagator

Calcium deposits or tube worm skeletons.

Hard to tell from the pis.

If they are spiral shaped and tube like they are tube worm ( tiny feather dusters)

It they are smooth then calcium deposit is a good guess.

I believe they are calcium deposits as they are smooth... is this a signal to me saying STOP DOSING PURPLE UP!!!! YOU HAVE TOO MUCH CALCIUM!!! Or is it just a common occurrence which I should just stop worrying about?

I believe they are calcium deposits as they are smooth... is this a signal to me saying STOP DOSING PURPLE UP!!!! YOU HAVE TOO MUCH CALCIUM!!! Or is it just a common occurrence which I should just stop worrying about?

Yeah...thats a signal telling you that you shouldn't have dosed purple up to begin with (especially if you aren't testing for calcium, magnesium and alkalinity). If you want more coralline, test for calcium, magnesium and alkalinity, and get a good 2-part supplement that allows you to control the amount of each you put in the tank. There's no control with purple up.

Archived