Pod Your Reef

Detritus and mushroom barley open

Quincyman

I have a new tank setup. I intially used tap water ( I know bad move) to set up the tank ( used the conditioners). Then as usual Brown alage started to feed off the silica in the water. As well the detritus buildup is getting on my nerves. I went and brought a gravel vac to suck out as much of the detritus as possible. I am also going to do a 30 %.due to the fact that I used tap water and replace that with. Deironized or distilled water. My question is that since I used inferior water is that the reason why my mushrooms wont fully open. Aslo is it a good Idea to change that much water, and should I leave some of the detritus in the tanks ( snacks for the clean up crew) I figured the "lower quality water" would eventually be replaced thru regular water changes using " better quality water"

Hmm, what sort of cleanup crew do you have?? And if its a new tank do you already have a bio load? If not where did the detritus come from?! I would remove all of it if possible..You really should ever need to use a vac in a properly set up SW tank...

Have measured any of your water parameters? ANd what kind of lighting have you got? THose are the two main things that would be botherin the shroom..... please tell us what you've got or what your tests show.

Archived