Innovative Marine Aquariums

can a reef be maintained without the use of chemicals?

Benji

Is it possible to maintain a healthy reef (10g-20g) without the use of chemicals? Can the type and amount of life be a variable in the "chemical free" reef possibility?

I appreciate any advice/opinions. I apologize if this has been previously discussed (several search query did not produce any threads) and would thankful for a link or reference to any info.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see why not - as long as you do water changes regularly. Most of your nutrients would be replenished in the water changes.

I'd also be cautious of coral selection and make sure that what you stock isn't something that is demanding.

As long as you have clean water (RO/DI or distilled) and you do weekly water changes, there's really no need to dose anything. All the nutrients are provided by the salt mixture. I know Tropic Marin makes one of the best salt mixes on the market.

For the first few months I used prime (as the only chemical in my tank) to treat my already clean tap water. *ducks* yes, I said tap water. The tap water we get in my area (suburb just outside Toronto) is very very clean.

But once I stopped using tap water treated with prime, I started running a chemical-free tank. I even made my own version of 'Kent Marine Garlic Xtreme' at home, with... you guessed it, whole garlic gloves. (I used this when I bought a green clown goby with signs of ich, and it worked quickly and effectively)

no way in hell, I have to dose 1.5 gallons of kalk a day and that does not keep up with demand, I just bought 2 more dosing pumps to pump in 2 part solution

Salt mix is a chemical, or rather a soup of chemicals. If you have any corals, you will have a calcium and alkalinity demand that will be very difficult to satisfy with salt mix, so at least calcium hydroxide will be required. Other than that I use no chemicals.

I have yet to use anything in my tank, although I haven't added any livestock yet. I can tell you right now though, I won't be dosing it, at least with anything other than calcium (possibly).

The way I see it, there's no solution as effective as a natural method. I think (imo anyways) reefkeeping is slightly easier than FW because the water used is RO, so far there have been no water quality issues because I'm using pure H20 - hence no dosing to keep anything in check. Once I began keeping inverts, I'll probably dabble in calcium dosing. :)

masterbuilder

YES...easily

In the 1.5 years I have had my nano I have NEVER dosed anything. I only do a 20% water change every week with a quality salt. I have 100's of corals and I have not lost one or have they ever seemed like they needed anything other than frequent water changes. My corals grow like crazy and my other livestock is happy. All they need is good water, good light and clean conditions.

Now...I all I have is soft corals (zoanthids, palys, ricordea), hard corals are another matter and will require some chemicals. They (LPS/SPS) just use up too much CA and other stuff to thrive without some help. I have never kept hard corals so I really don’t have any first hand knowledge of their needs.

Don’t let anyone tell you HAVE to add chemicals to keep a reef tank....it’s just not true.

My little tank......

NO Chemicals

NO Dosing

NO Refugium

NO Skimmer

NO Reactor

NO Sump

NO nuthing...just quality saltwater, good light and the KISS method.

Nano_9_07.jpg

I removed the stock carbon filter from my biocube and replaced the second chamber grate with a PURA Filtration Pad. No more trickling water noise :-)

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~MN3311.html

I personally believe that nano's should run carbon 24/7 and with a 20 percent weekly water change require little else unless your getting into LPS, SPS or clams.

Andreas

BustytheSnowMaam
For the first few months I used prime (as the only chemical in my tank) to treat my already clean tap water. *ducks* yes, I said tap water. The tap water we get in my area (suburb just outside Toronto) is very very clean.

Yay! + 1 for tap water! I don't even add anything to my tap water, I just let it get up to room temp and pour it in.

I don't use chemicals either- my tank will be 6 in January. I don't even use a refractometer or salt mix. I just buy the boxes of water at the pet store, feed my fish, and change my light bulbs every 4-5 months. :) It's called LAZY.

I don't dose with anything either. A good quality salt mix and regular water changes make all the difference. I have so much coralline as is, I can't imagine what it would be if I dosed.

That's a difficult question to answer without knowing what you are planning to keep and what brand of salt you are going to use.

Not to mention it's not a very good question, as others have said here you are adding chemicals by doing water changes with synthetic salt.

YES...easily

Don’t let anyone tell you HAVE to add chemicals to keep a reef tank....it’s just not true.

My little tank......

NO Chemicals

NO Dosing

NO Refugium

NO Skimmer

NO Reactor

NO Sump

you forgot:

no S.P.S.

no L.P.S.

no clams

;)

nice looking tank

YES...easily

In the 1.5 years I have had my nano I have NEVER dosed anything. I only do a 20% water change every week with a quality salt. I have 100's of corals and I have not lost one or have they ever seemed like they needed anything other than frequent water changes. My corals grow like crazy and my other livestock is happy. All they need is good water, good light and clean conditions.

Now...I all I have is soft corals (zoanthids, palys, ricordea), hard corals are another matter and will require some chemicals. They (LPS/SPS) just use up too much CA and other stuff to thrive without some help. I have never kept hard corals so I really don’t have any first hand knowledge of their needs.

My little tank......

NO Chemicals

NO Dosing

NO Refugium

NO Skimmer

NO Reactor

NO Sump

Nano_9_07.jpg

needs more zoa's. j/k, awesome tank!!!

Softie tanks can be kept easily with just regular water changes. If you have clams or stony corals, you really have to add some supplements, or your Ca+/Alk levels will drop dangerously low in a hurry. Thats why softie tanks are sooo much easier to keep. You can keep thriving softie tanks withoiut ever testing anything other than salinity and temp. Try to do that in a stony reef, and you are begging for trouble.

no way in hell, I have to dose 1.5 gallons of kalk a day and that does not keep up with demand, I just bought 2 more dosing pumps to pump in 2 part solution

Nielsen reactor. Calcium reactor.

The Propagator

Your answer is completely dependent on the species intended on being kept.

SPS? NOPE.

LPS ? NOPE

Softies? All day every day. :)

Water changes and skimming will do it.

BUT for optimal growth and over all good health I would suggest not doing it.

the trick to a chemical free system is TIME.

It takes a lot of time for your little biotope to establish its self and balance out with what your giving it to live on. If you do not does anything and only do tank maintenance and water changes with skimming you will only be able to keep X amount of any specific type of coral. ( no ones knows what types for sure)

The strongest will survive and that will usually be shrooms, leathers, and polyps.

masterbuilder
you forgot:

no S.P.S.

no L.P.S.

no clams

;)

nice looking tank

No I didnt..... I forgot clams :) I want one too, but where am I going to put it.

Mark

The Propagator

Why couldn't you keep a clam?

The stipulation was no chemicals not starving them.

All you would have to worry about was lighting and food with a clamy clam.

:)

Because those CaCO3 shells don't come from nowhere. I noticed a definite increase in Ca+ consumption in my tiny system when I added 2 croceas.

yep clam = little calciunm suckers... they are great filters and will keep your water nice and clean

The Propagator

Water changes young grass hopper.

All it would ever need would come from weekly water changes alone.

Remember this would have to be a softy tank.

Softies don't use very much calcium at all.

BTW I have an electric blue crocea in a softy 38gL tank I have never dosed calcium in since the tank was set up 1.5 years ago :) Before that it was in my 20 long. Never dosed calcium in it either.

Archived