Cultivated Reef

2 weeks into cycle, nothing changing.

moorediddy

Ok, I've read almost every post on these forums about cycling, and haven't found anything similar to mine. So before you guys say "search"... I have searched.

Here's the deal:

Tank Specs:

AGA 15 gallon Long

16.5 lbs LR

20 lbs Nature's Ocean Live Aragonite

Obvious others, heater, power filter w/media (just for the cycle), power head.

I added the "semi-cured" (according to LFS) LR to my newly established tank on June 8th, and tested water shortly after. Everything was going according to plan. I was testing daily for the first week:

SG 1.022

pH 8.2

Ammonia: Started out at 0 and rose to 1.0 after about 5 days.

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 0

So, after the first week, I was getting a diatom bloom and my ammonia was down to about .3-.4 (my guess since it looks a little lighter than the .50 color, and a little darker than the .25 color, darn color test kits) So I decided to add a couple of inverts since they're generally hardy enough to handle the cycle. I added 4 small blue-legged hermits. They seemed to be doing well, and so I added 1 bumble bee snail, 2 astreas and 1 margarita. THey have all been doing well for the past week, foraging around and keeping the tank clean. However, my ammonia has stalled out at around .30-.40. The nitrites are still 0, and nitrates are still 0. It's been 15 days now since I've added the LR, and the ammonia is not moving.

The only answers I can think of are:

1. A problem because I'm using the filter media.

2. A problem with the live rock maybe? There wasn't much die off because I rushed it home from the LFS (time out of water: maybe 10 mins total).

3. A problem caused from adding the inverts, but I don't see why this could be the case. If anything, it would have driven the ammonia level back up, due to the waste.

4. Faulty test kits, but I find this unlikely, because it would be mean both the ammonia one stopped working, and the nitrite kit is broken... assuming the nitrates haven gone up yet... otherwise that one would be faulty too.

Ok, so... any suggestions/ideas? I'm not sure if I should just be patient, or if something is wrong that needs to be addressed ASAP.

Thanks,

Moore

My tank is also acting odd. I started testing on the second day after adding the LR/LS at the same time (20 lbs LR, 10 lbs LS) "mostly cured" rock shipped from Maryland (??) to San Francisco overnight from Dr Mac. So I expected die off, which I have But...

1) Some stuff that I didn't see before is now appearing...mostly feather dusters and pods.

2) I saw a snail/clam thing ONCE climbing around the front of the glass, never saw him again.

3) Hairy green algae appearing everywhere, some of the corraline is now fuzzy (??!)

4) My Ammonia has been at .5 for a week or so, nitrites at 0, nitrates at 5

It is VERY possible that I'm reading the kits wrong, since they are hellishly hard for me to tell, but I'm SURE of the nitrite, because at zero, it is blue and I can tell that. The Ammonia, is pretty close and the nitrate is close, I think. I tested again and I THOUGH my nitrate was zero, but I can't really say. (what's the point of this test kit again????)

I can't imagine that I'm lucky and the LR/LS cycled very quickly. I mean, I'd LIKE to believe that, but I won't risk any invert lives on it.

But the advice I keep seeing is ... PATIENCE IS KEY ... so I'm going to stick it out and keep waiting. I DID get a piece of raw shrimp, but I accidetally left it at my girlfriends place (in the freezer) so I never got around to jump starting the tank, but now that I see the pods and feathers appear, I'm afraid I'll kill them by artificially spiking the ammonia...

Vince

Let me guess, you're using the Aquarium Pharm. test kits? I find myself asking everyone around.... "Ok, so which color do YOU think it looks like?" Are all the kits this difficult to discern? The only one I know for sure is the Nitrites because at 0 it is blue, and the next one is purple, so I can tell that one. Otherwise it's the same, Ammonia is "around" .3, and Nitrates "around" 0 - 5.0, but I'm not exactly sure. Again, I don't mind waiting, I just want to make sure that I'm not doing something wrong...

How long has yours been cycling Vince?

-moore

Go out and get some good test kits...chances are...both your tanks are "cycled". Once you start seeing algal growth...go out and get some snails before you're toothbrushing the heck outta your rock..lol. And invest in Seachem, Lamotte, or at the very least Seatest/Fastest tests.

Happy reefing......

Archived