Coral Vue Hydros

AGA Minibow 7

Lost Fisher

Lost Fisher

I found one at PetCo for $69.99, it looks to be a perfect setup for me size wise. My question is this is my first nano reef tank/ first salt water and it is my first fish tank in over 5 years. I have been reading up pretty diligently the last 2 weeks or so. I truly like the look of these nano reefs, but I also wonder if they are a bit over my level. I could handle filling the water up every morning with some distilled or reverse osmosis water. But I certainly dont have the room to keep a 5 gallon bucket of salt water brewing. I could see myself every saturday or somthing making 1 gallon of salt water in a water jug or somthing and then adding it the next day. Is that at all possible? Tomorrow I think I will call my Marina store and ask if they sell bottled salt water, that would deffinatly help things out. My last question is about other starting equipment, what would you reccomend to add to this aquarium. Also do I have to buy a retrofit light fixture for my new aquarium, or could I possibly buy new bulbs and use them?

Thanks everyone

LF

Orange Crush

YES! MINIBOW!!

http://www.jenniferkiehle.com/reef

http://www.minibow.com

http://www.oc-creative.com/reef

you'll need the retrofit if you want to keep corals, but the range of corals you can keep with that retrofit is quite impressive.

other stuff? HOB and a powerhead. heater. thermometer. um.

that's pretty much it. And you'll become a member of an elite club.

Just make sure you keep researching a bit more before you take the dive.

Originally posted by Lost Fisher

I truly like the look of these nano reefs, but I also wonder if they are a bit over my level.  

I could handle filling the water up every morning with some distilled or reverse osmosis water.  But I certainly dont have the room to keep a 5 gallon bucket of salt water brewing. I could see myself every saturday or somthing making 1 gallon of salt water in a water jug or somthing and then adding it the next day.  Is that at all possible?  

My last question is about other starting equipment, what would you reccomend to add to this aquarium.  

Also do I have to buy a retrofit light fixture for my new aquarium, or could I possibly buy new bulbs and use them?

I had never had an aquarium of any sort prior to my 12 gallon nano so no, they are not over your level at all provided you continue to research, learn and be a responsible reefkeeper.

I am not sure where you found a requirement of keeping a 5 gallon bucket of saltwater constantly 'aging' but I sure don't do that. My water changes are on Saturdays so on Friday eve I mix my water, have a heater and pump in the bucket and then let it sit overnight. Saturday morning I change it. Simple.

You will need a heater, powerhead(s), a HOB filter, live sand, live rock, test kits, ummm, what else am I missing guys?

More than likely, if you want to keep corals, yes a retrofit is in your future.

Keep in mind, this hobby ain't cheap! :)

HTH!

I have the Eclipse 12, 18-20 lbs. LR, crushed coral, and some inverts/fish. I've spent close to $400 and I still don't have any coral. I am having fun though :)

You will also need a hydrometer, small glass cleaning magnet, cooling fan for lights, timer for light, power strip for all the plugs

Archived