inTank Media Baskets

Newbie Question

Klamb

Hi gang newbie here who just got done filling his 12 Gallon Eclipse. Everything so far has went well I placed the substrate and setup the salt water in a seperate bucket during which I mixed to a salinity of .24 which I know is great. However now that it is in the tank it is down to .21/.22.

My question is this....can I add salt to the tank and let it filter for a few days to get the salinity up? I should be able to do it this way right?

always mix salt in another container, I know there isn't anything in your tank yet but it is a good habit to start. You can always take some of the new water out and mix more salt into it then add it back to your tank. My reef tank is usually always at .22 or .23 so in my opinion you are fine where you are.

Hi Klamb,

I agree with surfy. Take out a bit of your water and add a little salt...pour it back in the tank... let it circulate for a bit then take another reading. Repeat if necessary.

Temperature can affect your readings as well. If the temp in the tank was different than in your initial mix...

I usually mix sallt in a five gallon bucket. I add the water (RO/DI), a small 50 watt heater and a power head (good to have a backup anyway). I wait till the water temp in the bucket gets up to my tank temp (78-80 f) by letting the heater run and the power head circulate the water for a while. I then add the required amount of salt and mix it with a big plastic spoon. I usually let the power head run for a couple hours and keep the heater in to stabilize the temp. Then I read the salinity a few times and adjust if needed.

The heater is not as necessary in the summer months but is quite helpful in the cooler times of the year.

:happy:

Archived