Coral Vue Hydros

live rock & sand

labrat

Hi all,

I've just finished building my new 20 gal tank and have a few questions regarding live rock and sand. I'll post pics soon:)

1) Can I add the sand and rock at the same time?

2) Who do you all recommend for live rock and sand, I'm not worried about the price just quality?

3) How deep should my sand bed be?

4) How do I attach rock specimens together?

5) Is it okay to drip limewater into my tank via my gravity feed water top off system?

6) What's the best way to add sand to the tank without creating a blizzard?

Thanks for your help and time!

Happy reeeeeffffin,

Rick

1) There are many methods, but I like to add the sand first, let the dust settle (O/N), then add the rock on top of the sand.

2) I recommend Florida Aquacultured live rock. Some LFS carry it, and it may be cured in their tanks. This is a big plus if you can get good cured rock of this kind locally, since you will lose less life during transport. With this rock, I never had any spikes, my tank was instantly cycled, and the rock came packed with coralline and live, which survives to this day.

The drawback is cost, of course, but it is worth it. I paid 11 bucks a pound for some very good rock.

3) Mine is 2-3 inches.

4) I can't offer much advice there. I just piled mine. Some people I read use plastic straps (like the ones used to tie electrical chords), others use superglue (cyanoacrylite)

5) Can't offer advice there, since I don't use limewater

6) Just add if first and let it settle.

Welcome, good luck and enjoy your tank! My pleasure helping another lab rat. :happy:

Archived