ReefCleaners.org

? on bulkhead sizes

NAL

I drilled my first hole for my overflow box (yet to be built). It's a 3/4" ID bulkhead, and I have 2 for the returns with 1/2" loc-line. I was wondering if I need bigger bulkheads for the overflow. I also need to know what size the overflow box needs to be.

Here is my set-up:

20L tank

10g sump/refugium

planning on a mag 9.5

AquaC remora skimmer

I am planning on buying a Switching Current Water Director for the returns

So you are going with 1 x 3/4" for the drain and 2 x 1/2" for your returns? I ended up using 2 x 1" drains on my 20L and I only have 780gph. I also regret not using 3/4 returns.

So I would say if you want to go with one drain you would probably want to go with at least 1 x 1.25, and 2 x 3/4" returns. Or you could do 2 x 1" drains.

Read through my 20L thread, and you can see all the problems I had with just 1 x 1" drain.

Well the return bulkheads are 3/4", they just hook up to 1/2 loc-line. So if I do a 1.25" line, will I have to run 1.25" hose (i'm doing vinyl hose) all the to the sump?

Read through my 20L thread, and you can see all the problems I had with just 1 x 1" drain.

OK, I have read that thread before, nice tanks. I guess I will get 1 1.25" for the drain. Do you have problems with an automatic siphon on your returns? I might have missed something. I really like your tank though, good job.

Well I drilled the holes, I have a 1" ID bulkhead for the drain, and 2 3/4" ID returns. I am going to run a mag 5 after talking to the lady at the LFS.

bulkheads4.jpg

bulkheads3.jpg

yes i had a mag five and it was loud and hot. u could hear the pump humming across the house. i replaced it with a oceanrunner 2500. its got a good price, low watt draw,and its quiet. alot of people use them on the other site.

I got some loc-line today.

retuns.jpg

I also built the drain, I will paint it. I am going to drill a small air hole on top, is there anything I need to know about that.

drain.jpg

How does everything look?

Archived