Top Shelf Aquatics

Ahhh the hair algae

Billdemart

My tank is not quite so beautiful anymore but I am hoping the hermits will help me eradicate this disgusting stuff..

Scarlet%202.jpg

Scarlet%203.jpg

Tank%20Week%203%20-%202.jpg

Bumblbee.jpg

Hi Bill, I think we are at about the same stage, both with 10g's and rock from Dr. Mac! My tank is also reaching puberty and is sprouting all sorts of green hair algae! Plus some other weird stuff! I never noticed any real spikes or cycle, so I'm hanging in there, playing the waiting game...

I can't wait to add a cleanup crew though! I show the tank to my friends and they say "So, tell me how much you spent on this tank full of mossy rocks?"

I like that bumble bee snail! Awesome! What does he eat?

Vince

Christopher Marks

Have you tried an emerald crab or a sally lightfoot? They should solve the problem for you. What ever you do, don't wait for it to go away by itself, it may just get worse.

Dennis_said

Hmmm, so when I get an algae boom I should start adding inverts to solve it?

What stage of the cycle does the bloom come in?? I wasn't planning on adding in cleaner crew until the ccle was done, but I guess maybe it should be done sooner?

Hey Vince how long have you been cycling. I had an initial ammonia readings for a couple of days but after about a week and now two, nothing but nitrates. Did you get the uncured or cured?

Thanks Chris, I was doing some research on the forums this morning and found a TON of people posting at how good Emeralds were at eating hair algae.

I just bought one from the LFS and he is currently chowing down, took him all of 1 second to start tearing it up after I acclimated him!

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill,

I got the "partially cured" (ie; not cured) rock. It's been in the tank for 13 days now. Levels never spiked, Ammonia level at above zero some amount, ditto nitrates. I can't recall the numbers right now, I'll get them when I'm home.

I'm mixing some SW for a mini water change, just to keep the life alive. I don't mind a longer cycle...OR maybe my tank has cycled already? I never saw a spike in anything. Nitrites have been 0 all the time. And I didn't cycle with shrimp or anything, though I did toss in a few fish flakes to see if it would help the cycle. Also, I am sporadically (and now constantly) running a Prizm Skimmer. I turned it off for a while to see if I could accumulate crud to start the cycle, but now I've turned it on full time. I'm going to wait it out. But I may look into an emerald to clear out some of that hair algae!

Vince

Actually Vince you may already be cycled. Thats exactly what mine did and then the nitrates started taking off before I did the water changes.

You got any pics of your tank?

I just checked on the emerald. He is constantly eating stuff. I'm sure I have tons of dead stuff in the tank from the LR/Cycle which is causing my high nitrates and I hope that the little scavenger will help that as well.

Bill

Don't be so quick to add an Emerald, they like snacking on coral too! Also don't think for a second that a few crabs will end your algae problems. Once hair algae starts, it's an on going battle just to keep it in check let alone eliminate it.

Hi, I'll post a pic on this thread later. My tank is basically a jumble, I tried to create a U shape with the rocks without piling them on top of one another, with a rock in the centre, but the shapes of my rocks and the stuipid EQUIPMENT get in the way! I want to re-arrange it, but I don't want to crush the little feather dusters that have sprung up!

I am making a little overflow box and plan to make a 10g refugium under the tank to house some macro algae to help keep the "bad" algae under wraps!

I am actually very interested in not adding any cleanup crew yet, just to see what weird stuff appears in the tank!

I've seen;

1) Many small brownish feather dusters

2) One deep red feather duster (??)

3) One worm when I first stuch the rock in

4) One tiny snail

5) One weird snail/clam thing which I named Snaily McClam, that I saw ONCE and never again! He was on the glas, and looked like he was sliming away like a snail, but had a sort of bivalve type shell (??)

6) A bunch of amphipods

7) Last night, using an LED light (a bicyclist flashing red safety light, set to shine constantly) I saw a weird tentacle emerge our of one rock and thrash about looking for food! Weird!

8) The weirdest thing...There seems to be a stack of poo piling up in one corner. They look like rock core samples! I don't know what's making them, but they weren't there before and there seem to be more of them every day! Maybe worm poo?

9) Little red thingys like rooster combs, I see you have some in your tank as well

10) One thing that looks like a white tree branch

So far it's been really fun...I can't wait to see what monstrosity appears next! ;)

Vince

Archived