Top Shelf Aquatics

Cured or Uncured, that is the question

fraggle

Brand new? Id get uncured, it has alot more life normally. Youll lose some of it, but you'll also retain some of it....

Althouhg, going with cured rock will for sure lessen the cycle.

Unless you like the stench of rotting death in your living quarters, I'd go cured. Sure there's a bit less life, but no stinky house and still lots of pods and worms and dusters.

Yeah, I have always gone with uncured in the past. I want as much life as possible. :) I miss my little jellyfish in my 55g that has been taken apart for a few months. Damn moving to hell! heheh

I got cured rock and it cycled in like 5 days. Had great coralline algae but it didn't have much else besides a filter cuke and some little shrimp looking creatures.

Dennis_said

Uncured makes you wait... blahh, just don't get hte uncured that's been sitting around for 6 days... the life dies off :( and might as well get cured :( damn mee :(

patients is a virtue my friend. get eh uncured and some glad plugins. you'll be set. i got one peice of lr cured and then one from another dealer that was uncured. i'm much happier with the life on my un cured rock. it grew many many thing. some of which i can not identify. but it's all cool. any uncured does stink, but, just fabreeze and forget about it dude.

I plan on getting the uncured from Premium Aquatics. I am gonna start with 20 lbs (Eclipse 12). How much live sand should I get for the 12g?

it being a nano tank, and only 12g, I think a DSB(4inches) is kind of out of the question. I plan on doing 1-2 week water changes anyways. I guess 2-3 inches or so of sand would do me good. Recommend any good places to get the sand? The LFS's around here don't carry it, and when they carry LR it is lousy. THats why I am gonna get my LR through PremiumAquatics.

It really depends on what type of look your going for with your sand bed. Many online stores sell the LS by the pound as well, but you could also go with Southdown and let the uncured LR seed the sand bed. This would give you a very clean, fine grained sand bed.

i went with a black argonite sand bed (don't reccomen it. show detrius way to bad but it does look good when it's clean.) i let the lr seed mine. my sand bed is pretty shallow. maybe and inch at it's deepest. i know i know it's way shallow but it works. i don't like the look of deep sand beds. i prefer maybe and inch to and inch and a half. thats just me though.

Archived