Pod Your Reef

Something Strange Happened!

MacnReef

On Friday I went to local fish store to pick up a product called, Ultralife Reef Products, Red Slime Remover. Both my 7g minibow and my 29 were starting to get cyanobacteria. The 7 was worse. I came home Friday and dosed what it said, and within 24hrs the cyano was fading away. But my protein skimmer on my 29, Prizm, is putting thousands of micro bubbles back into the tank. I adjusted it to where no bubbles were coming out but then it would not produce foam...so I turned it back up. But for the whole weekend I have had microbubbles all in the tank....is this normal and what should I do?

read the label on the cyano remover. It might say stop skimming while using the product or it might give info regarding using skimmers and the product.

No, I did that before I dosed but the only thing it says is, something about the DO level may change in the tank once you use the product.

I've heard a lot of folks say that when they add chemicals to the tank, it'll change up the surface tension of the water, hence the skimmer not working properly. I'd give it a little time and see what shakes down.

Yeah, that is what I am going to do...just was not sure if anyone else has had this problem with the Red Slime Remover.

Thanx for all the help...I will still be watching this thread if anybody has questions or suggestions or has used this product.

I've used the ultralife red slime remover, you do need to turn off your skimmer, and it will probably take a couple weeks and a few water changes before all the micro bubbles disappear. The stuff actually increases the oxygen level of your water so it will turn your skimmer into a super jacuzzi. The stuff works well, just don't overdose it will affect your corals. Good luck

Archived