Cultivated Reef

My new acro frag!!..........

SaltyDawg

This is my new acropora frag. It was sold to me as a blue tipped acropora. Only paid 40 bucks for it! It measures 3"x 2 1/2"!!

Nice multiple branches too! Sorry for ther crappy pic but my camera wont focus for some reason?

Gorgeous frag Salty! I have one too. What kind of light do you have? I have mine under 96 watts and it has lightened considerably, even after placing it as high as it can go.

Keep us posted!

I have 4x 24" 20w NO ( 18k and actinic)

And 1 175w halide.

Yeah it is a truely awsome coloration .

Yup and for a while I didnt know what the heck kind of ballast's I had. ( Got them off ebay 175 x 2 seperate balast's).

Turns out they are Hamilton ballast's.

My local LFS sells anything with the Hamilton label on it for BIG BUCK'S. I bought the pair at a year old for only 104 and change off ebay. They make no noises and drive the bulb like a champ. Not so much as a flicker even.

Now that I know what make the ballast's are I can get the correct bulb's they are made to run efficiently.

jdsabin1 what size tank do you have the 96 watter on anyways?

Tank depth is a MAJOR issue with keeping Light hungry coral.

They say at 6" below a 55w power compact bulb a coral will get the same light out put as a halide at 18". Maybe you could make a small pile or table closer to the surface for your acro.? It can prety much be almost breaking the surface and be fine.

Archived