Cultivated Reef

Can somebody give me a lesson on Piccolo Skimmers?

Dennis_said

Dennis_said

I searched the boards... maybe not well enough, but I read about 5-6 threads, but they all had people having knowledge...

I recently got a piccolo skimmmer and a CPR aquafuge... maybe I was in over my head for buying it... but I heard good things about having it, and I got a good deal for it, so I dove in...

My question is: The piccolo skimmer is just this plastic container looking type thing... how does it suck up all the gunk? Shouldn't there be some sort of filtration (cotton, filter pack or something)?

And how does it work exactly? I see them fully submerged into the water... w/ a pump connected to the air-stone... but no idea what happens next...

Anybody able to help this newbie??

Most skimmers work by generating air bubbles, the bubbles will drag gunk with it as they travel through the water, then the bubbles collect as foam (scum) at the top of the skimmer and the skimmer will have a cup at the top where the foam spills into and pops (or the foam pops at the top) and what you get is the dried scum in the cup. You clean the cup out, and THAT's the crud you are removing from your tank!

Vince

Dennis_said

Oooh, awesome Vincerama :) Thanks :-D

So there doesn't have to be any tissue or cotton or anything at the top cup for the gunky bubbles to attach to?

Dennis_said

Any recommendations for an airpump that would work for this piccolo which will be in a CPR 18''?

Do I need a dual outlet? Or just one? How low into the water does it go? I'm still kinda confused how the actually specs of it goes =T

NaNO ReeFiN

Hey Dennis, the skimmer is already adjusted to the height it's suppose to be at. All you have to do is connect an airpump to the airstone that's already attached to the skimmer and just sit back and watch it do its magic.. =)

Just give it a little bit of time for it to "break in" again, little bubbles should flow upwards towards the collection cup and soon you'll see foam starting to collect in there. In the beginning, the foam might be clear but pretty soon you'll have brownish gunk collecting in the cup.

Dennis_said

Awesome I've been trying to PM you! Clean up your PM box man :) Heheh thanks again, everything is great :)

Ooh and hey, what kind of airpump did you use? I gotta get me one of those ;) just kinda lost, don't want too many bubbles or too little bubbles :P

Sounds like you have what I am looking to do also. An 18" Aquafuge with a Piccolo skimmer inside it. Where did you get the Piccolo skimmer? I cannot for the life of me find one anywhere online.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

-Jeff

Archived