Cultivated Reef

plumbing for a 7 gallon minibow

reefdudemaast

reefdudemaast

Im getting ready to have my 7 gallon drilled this week and i'm stuck on the plumbing method I should use??? I don't want an internal skimmer box in my tank and would just like to use a slip bulkhead fitting with a 90 degree elbow so that it is sticking up (somewhat out of the water). Is this a feasable idea or am I trying to hard??? Does anyone out there have pics of their 7 gallon plumbing as far as drains are concerned?? thanks in advace.

I just built a 7 gallon cube tank out of acrylic, and I used what I think is one of the most discreet drainage methods I could think of: I notched the back of the aquarium, so water flows out of the back of the tank from the notches, and into an attached external overflow box/refugium. In essence, the aquarium IS the overflow box.

I don't know if this is an option for you, but if the tank is plastic, and you have a router, you might be able to do it.

About the upturned elbow, that could definitely work if you take a few things into consideration:

1. It can be very loud, and make a horrible sucking noise, so be prepared for that, or at least to turn down the flow.

2. I would use perhaps an intake strainer on the end of the elbow to keep snails/fish etc from getting sucked into the piping.

Hope this helped.

Archived