inTank Media Baskets

Anemones

AbSoluTc

I started this a long while ago and thought I would post it. I will add another issue in the next day or so.

Anemones in Aquaria

Part1

As I visit the boards throughout the internet, namely nano-reef.com and reefcentral.com I am seeing a lot of questions about people wanting to keep anemones. Whether it is a large or small tank. I see the same answers given over and over. Anemones are hard to keep, they require tanks that have been up 6, 8, 12 months maybe more. When they die they wipe out tanks, they move around and destroy corals, so on and so forth. Some of this is true to an extent, most of it is not.

What I hope to achieve with this series of articles is to help the hobbyist have a better understanding of these beautiful creatures. Sometimes it can be overwhelming listening to everything there is out there and then trying to make a decision based on that info. With most of it being heresy, it can be a tough decision. So, follow along and I will break it down into sizable chunks for you!

In this article we will be discussing bubble tip anemones or BTA’s for short. These anemones are most commonly found through local stores as well as online retailers. They vary in color from brown, cream, green and a mix of other colors. Most BTA’s are not brightly colored, but there are a few exceptions. The best way to be sure is to ask a knowledgeable person or to get a picture and ask on one of the message boards. This may be impossible depending on the quality of the store you visit. However, most online retailers that are reputable will not have a problem with answering your questions. BTA’s are the hardiest of anemones and obtaining a healthy specimen should be fairly easy. Choosing a healthy anemone is one of the most important things you must learn.

A healthy anemone will be firmly attached to a base. Most likely, this will be live rock that is in the tank, maybe a shell or in the corner of the tank on the bottom against the glass. The anemones mouth should be tight and snug. There should be no “puffing up” of the mouth or any type of protrusions. This is a sign of an unhealthy anemone. Anemones should also be fully open with nice waving tentacles or some might be a bit more retracted and have plumper “fuller” tentacles. Both are ok. You need to look over you anemone and make sure there are no tears in the foot. The foot is the base of your anemone that is attached to the rocks. If there are any tears, refuse sale. No ifs ands or buts. Anemones with tears or holes are prone to infection and more times than not, will not recover. After your searching and looking and you find an anemone you like that is healthy and plan to purchase ask an sales associate to feed the anemone. Watch as the anemone takes the food. You want to look for several things. The tentacles on the anemone should be stick and grasp the food. Also, the anemone will start to close up and slowly take the food in. This is a sign of a healthy anemone. If for some reason the anemone does not eat, re-evaluate the purchase or come back at a later date and try again. The anemone could be “full” from an earlier meal or still might be adjusting from shipping stress. Either way, you want a healthy, adjusted anemone. Now, lets say you find an anemone that meets those requirements. When you plan to purchase one and are doing so at a local store, watch closely when the associate goes to get the anemone for you. Watch for any undue harm and keep a close eye that he/she does not tear the anemone from the rocks. Once the anemone is bagged, give it a look over and confirm. This may sound like a lot of work, but in this type of situation, it only takes a few minutes to make sure you are getting a healthy anemone.

Some things to remember when buying an anemone:

Healthy-

• Anemone is open and expanded and “puffy”

• Mouth is tight and not gaping

• Anemone is firmly attached to a base

• Anemone is not balled up or thin

Not Healthy-

• Gaping or dropping mouth

• Mouth looks “ballooned” and expanded

• Anemone is deflated and sagging

• Dyed anemones – these are usually yellow or a weird color pink. Be very cautious of these

Archived