inTank Media Baskets

Nervous about moving rock

chufa

Just added a GSP rock to my tank. Unfortunately, at the position its in, it does not get enough light, since it is shaded by the eclipse filter. I have very few optios, since my torch's tentacles spread very wide.

There is a spot currently occupied by a big round rock on the sandbed (see pic). I was thinking of moving this rock and placing the GSP there. But I am afraid of stirring too much crap and potentially releasing toxic stuff, since the rock has never been moved, and I will be exposing a big portion of the sandbed for the first time.

Any advice on moving rocks from an established tank? Risky? I would appreciate if you could share your experiences. Here is the pic, with the rock in question circled:

Don't sweat it...just do the move. Keep an eye on H2O params and do a water change if you see any increase in NO2/3. I think you'll be just fine.

Pseudo Gregoree

well no answer to moving the rock here but

DAMN

that is some nice rock in that tank beautiful coraline.

-greg

Thanks! I will try tomorrow, if possible. Today I just can't get the smell of gasoline off my hands (messing around with my lawnmower), so I don't want to stick my hands in. I'll post a pic when it's rearranged.

I always use dish washing gloves when putting my tank in the water. Not because I'm afraid i will contaminate the tank, afraid that the tank will contaminate me with the toxins inside the water.

I don't use protection...ummmm I mean gloves when I stick my hands in my tank, but I have been stung by various stuff in there and it hurts!

Don't sweat it! I just tore apart my 20 to get a yellow-tail damsel out, took rocks off of the bottom to, and I had no problem. Its been running for a year now without a major overhall like this. The polyps on the few corals I left in the tank didn't even flinch. But I did run a little power filter for an hour or so to suck up the larger junk.

Yes, I moved it yesterday, no major problems. Waiting for my GSP's to open.

Curiously, the move has triggered a wave of aggression from my yellow tail damsel.

Archived