Top Shelf Aquatics

Pics of 7100K vs. 03 actinic?

skylsdale

I've read a lot of threads debating the 7100K blue bulbs vs. the 03 true actinic, but haven't actually seen the two compared in pictures. I've only seen the 7100K myself. Does anyone have pics or comparison pics between the two, with ONLY actinics on?

Thanks!

Not everybody has two different bulbs to take comparison pics of. I don't have pics, but I'll tell you that the actinic 03 is more of a violet color. Its not as bright, and green corals glow really well under it. Corals with different colors don't show up as well as under 7100s. I personally think that a 7100 bulb is a good supplement to a white bulb. I just like the color more. I think most people will tell you that the actinic 03 looks better.

Thanks Korbin, that's the kind of descriptive info I was looking for as well (I wasn't sure if anyone had comparison pics, but I thought I asked for solitary pics as well, and from there could maybe compare between two different hobbyist's pics.)

Thanks. I've researched past threads on here and other boards, but I'm hoping to see a VISUAL comparison between the two as I have never seen the 03 "true" actinic. I'm pretty sure I won't like th e03 (I'm not all that concerned about how well my corals flouresce), but I just wanted to see. I was hoping there would be at least 2 people on this board that had at least one of the setups, and then comparisons could be made between the two, but I guess that's a pretty tall order.

Actually, at this point, I think I'm just going to go full 10,oooK on all the bulbs--give me more bang for my buck.

Well maybe i can shead some light on this..

This is a picture of my 72 Gallon tank running 2x 40 watt Normal output True Phillips 03 actinics.

Tank_under_Atinics.jpg

and then this.. is 2x 7100k Pcs.. (or so im told ) not my tank

4667actinics.jpg

This is a qoute of HelloLights Website..

"*** FAQ:

Q. What's the difference between a "Blue 7,100K" and "Actinic 03" bulb?

A. Excellent question! OK, a little background: The original "Actinic 03" bulb was made by Phillips. They had several models, the Actinic 01, 03, 05, etc. They were not made for aquarium use, but were adopted once news spread about the beneficial aspects of using this bulb over reef tanks. Nowadays, "Actinic 03" has become the marketing term used to identify "blue" looking bulbs. Many bulbs are passed off as "actinic", when they are just a blue bulb.

So, to answer the question, Blue 7,100K bulbs are visually brighter than HelloLights Actinic bulbs. Blue bulbs will NOT fluoresce your animals as well as our Actinic bulbs. Many others sell "actinic", but they are really selling blue bulbs. The phosphors coating the interior of our Actinic bulbs are specially formulated to produce a narrow spike of concentrated violet/blue light. This is why they appear to be more faint than blue bulbs. If you have tons-o-corals, then we suggest going with Actinic 03. Remember, a visual measurement of a lights utility is a poor one."

as well as this

"Q. Why would I want a Blue bulb vs. an Actinic 03 bulb?

A. Blue bulbs definitely have a good use. If you have a "yellow" looking tank, then get the "Blue 7,100K" bulbs. Since it is visually brighter, they are GREAT at washing out yellow, and causing a tank to look whiter. But, if you want to benefit your corals with a very strong spike in the violet range, then go with Actinic 03."

The Hello Lights are the Middle ones right?

I find there bulbs kinda Purple.. atleast there 40 watt Florcent one i had bought look purple.. thats why i went with the Phillips.. I like the color much better.

the two in the middle are the 2 month old AHS bulbs, the ones on the outside are brand new hellokitty bulbs.

I was expecting the hellokitty bulbs to look a lot "purpler" but they didn't. They corals in the tank seem to glow more under the hellokitty bulbs tho so go figure, the camera lies.

one of my monti's has started bleaching since I changed the bulbs, everything else still looks ok.

-skeletor-

hello-what?

use all the bulbs. 10000k, 6500k, 420nm 03 actinic, 7100k white, 7100k blue and have no worries.

pictures of bulbs always come out weird because the white balance skews in the image. maybe just get one of each in from hellolights and play around with them over a small tank to see which one you prefer. they're only 6-7 apiece.

hellokitty = hellolights

always had the 4 of them, just changed out the 2 month old AHS bulbs. the monti is just looking pale, polyp extension is still good and nothing else has really changed. not sure what else to do but wait.

-skeletor-

Skelter, do you run any daylight or all actinic? or are you just showing him the difference between the two? or is that a supplement fixture for a MH daylight system?

just wondering

Joe

Archived