Pod Your Reef

holy crap, I think my seahair just dies andi do not know where

filefish949

Insane Reefer

I concur with Greenstar and Fosi - or at least give more time between changes and how much you tweak it.

"If the oxygen levels drop in an aquarium, more anions appear on the scene, and the redox potential will fall. This happens as organics accumulate in the water, reducing oxygen. If a strong oxidizer, such as ozone (O3), is introduced, the concentration of cations increase, and the redox potential will rise. "

So a spawn might be possible, or did your skimmer spit up? Ozone can also drop the ORP.

the cup was about 1/2 full.. I have had skimmer overflows before,, nothing happened, just reset the skimmer and it sucked the junk out in under an hour. I have not run O3 since the 90's. I am at ah huge loss as to the cause. I am just regretting that Idid not save a sample of the original water. I ordered one of those subscription lab tests with the mass spectromiter.. I am confident the results from those tests will shed some light on the origins of this...

seriously, last week, I fragged my superman monti, the breaks had healed over in under 5 days... the tank has been running great

fragged my 12" cali tort, it healed over almost completely in 6 days... birdsnest, same thing..

next W/C will be saturday night with scripts NSW

Also, I and considering dosing 10-20ml vinegar as a poormans oxidizer

it is all dead, all the acros, 10" cali tort gone 4 suprmans gone... lps and zoas are hanging on but there is nothing I can do

:o I am sorry man. I wish it had turned out better for you. At least you have an excue to restock now... Maybe Santa will bring you corals for Christmas too!

Really sorry to hear that. I know it's not much consolation for what is gone. Just know it was beyond you're control most likely.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you aren't discouraged from restocking and starting over.

thanks, i have received several helpful offers, but is going to be quite a while before I feel secure enough with the tank to start restocking

I am getting convinced that it was the aquamedic moon light that fell in the tank, tank crashed at 6:15 pm, 665wife called me at about 8:00 at work to tell me that a powerhead was floating around in the tank, turns out it was the light. there is some brown liquid residue on it near the assembly cracks, it has not dried in 2 days and stinks like exploded capacitor

the biggest hurt is that I let all those animals die, I feel so helpless and am overwhelmed with failure.

i just wish I KNEW what happened. I sent off a water sample to AWT water testing hopefully the results will shed some light on what happened

So sorry about the accident, Mark!

Have you seen this guy's thread? He had a very similar occurence--light fell in tank, he walked in to find the water cloudy....

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=126110

An awful coincidence...

--Diane

I have to runoff to work. I am now very sure I foud the culperat, I am guessing chromium caused by electrolisys

So sorry about the accident, Mark!

Have you seen this guy's thread? He had a very similar occurence--light fell in tank, he walked in to find the water cloudy....

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=126110

An awful coincidence...

--Diane

I do not think it is a coincidence, I suspect because these lights are low voltage and have low current power supplies when they fall in the tank, they just sizzle away dumping all sorts of heavy metal in the tank I am having my water analyzed by a lab.. I will post my findings

here is a little less than 1/2 the casualties, the big one used to be a gorgeous cali tort there are a couple Oregon's in there, a superman and small sunset monty

img0613mk3.jpg

I left more than 1/2 in there several are so encrusted on rock that I will just leave them, the corraline will encrust over them and they will become live rock, I am still holding out hope for anything with that "live acropora smell" or the slightest hint of viable tissue like this decimated green slimier

img0616df7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Dude, sorry for the lose, My wife dumped a gallon of tap water in my first NC-24 ( low water ) , everything turned white, almost everything died...

wives!

you can't shoot them,

you don't get laid any more

and if you leave e'm it cost ya all you have

turns out my wife saw the light floating in the tank, hours before I got home.... but ooo I am not going to stick my hand in there

seriously, honey, it is purified ocean water

• 1 year later...
Rasing an old thread since you linked to it, but do you remember what the lab results said?

unfortunatly, I had done about 160 gallons of WC before I took the sample, so the lab report looked fairly normal.

chromium occurs in NSW at about 5 PPM, with the 2 grams I estimate that were added to my tank from the electrolysis, I estimated I was in the neighborhood of 2PPT

img0617hz3.jpgimg0607go9.jpg

Archived