inTank Media Baskets

Proper acclimation step

BorgDrone

Greeting,

I read from somewhere telling me proper are as follow:

1) put bag in the tank for 0.5-1 hr for temp acclimation

2) dispose out half of bag water from store and replace that with half water from tank to acclimate chemical and leave bag in tank for half hour

3) repeat step 2

4) do freshwater dip before put livestock in tank.

Do these step seems correct? Feel free to point out if I did anything wrong.

How do you properly do freshwater dip? I think I did this wrong for my shrimp cleaner shrimp last week after step 3. I disposed (not pour out in tank) most of the saltwater in the acclimation bag, then I fill it with RO water. The moment the RO water reach the shrimp, it was like trying to leap out of the water. It seems very agitated, so I empty all the water immediately and dropped him in the tank. However, the skunk survived - it has been a week gone by and still living. I'm asking this because I'm about to add in a clownfish, and I don't want to make mistake. Thanks.

Here's what I do.

1) Float the bag for 30-45 min to equalize bag temp with tank temp.

2) After that open the bag and begin adding about 1/4 cup of water every 5-10 min or so until bag is pretty full. This takes about another 20 to 30 min.

3) Pour out 1/2 the contents of the bag into the sink or wherever, just not in the tank. ;)

4) Back into the tank with the bag and start step two all over again, till the bag is full again.

5) I then pour the bag into a glass bowl and scoop out my critter, be it a fish, invert or coral and put it into the tank.

I keep the lights off during acclimation and leave them off till the next day to keep the stress level down.

Hope that helps!

I do 30 minutes floating, then one hour in a drip bucket with 3 drops per second, then after an hour i add a cup or so every ten minutes, I do that three times and throw him in.

Do Not Try This At Home...

I float the bag 1/2 to 1 hour dump all of the water in the sink

put the bag back in the tank and let them swim or walk out

thats me. I know it's wrong but it works for me

I don't think you should fresh water dip anything when first aclimating it to your water. There's enought stress just with the change of different salt levels. And putting it in the fresh water makes any change of salt water obsolete (sp?).

Luke

• 3 weeks later...

Archived