Cultivated Reef

Starting 2 gallon tomorrow!

2k3Taco

Ive had fw tanks for a while... currently a 50g with a Tiger O, a 10g with a baby Senegal Bichir, and a 30g with a RES.

Here's what I'll have tomorrow:

1) Aquaclear Mini (Heater will go in here.)

1) Mini AQ heater

1) Hydrometer/Thermometer Combo

1) Bag of Instant Ocean

1) 2 Gallon Plexiglass Eclipse Tank

1) Desk type lamp until I figure out something better

2lbs Live Rock

1lb Sand

I plan on having maybe 1 cleaner shrimp (I ddint know they were so expensive, I can get all i want at red lobster for half the price, and that shrimp comes with rice and a salad!) and a Yellow Goby.

Of course they won't be added until the tank is cycled! If anyone can suggest a more suitable fish, I'm up for it. Keep in mind that its not likely that Ill get a bigger tank anytime soon. To bad they make Dragon Wrasse's so big... they are my fav.

btw, quick funny story.. the hydrmoeter I have is a floating one.. i put it in the oscar tank for kicks... well... it took me 10 minutes to get the hydrometer back from the Oscar...

I'm learning as I go along here. If I've missed anything, please let me know. A powerhead is coming in the mail, I didnt forget that!

I look forward to seeing the little things crawl out of the live rock (already cured) Im going to get.

Thanks for reading,

-Brian

You may not need the power head. On a two gallon, the mini HOB may be enough movement. I have a 2.5, and the power head I had in it until I got my AC150 HOB took up tons of room. I didn't have a heating issue, but with these tanks, real estate is everything.

Got it started.. 3lbs live sand, 3.5 lbs live rock, 2.5 gallon tank. Aquaclear mini, and some calcium additive. I have a giant air pump aerating it now, to help mix the salt. woot! Im excited.

I have a 2.5g with 3.5lbs of L/R and 3lbs L/S. I took my PH out because it wasn't creating adequate water flow in the tank. Went out and bought a junior whisper HOB filter. The filter fits perfectly on the back of the tank. It pumps 90GPH and seems to keep the water moving a lot better. I can also run carbon in it if the water gets a little dirty. I have been cycling for a week now. I have one scarlet hermit crab in the tank. He seems to be doing pretty well. I am back and forth on what type of livestock I will eventually add!

For lighting, try to find the 10W Coralife 50/50 PowerCompact. It is new on the market and screws right into your existing hood socket. I have a 2.5g MiniBow AGA. Got it at Wal Mart for $25.

Chad

Archived