Cultivated Reef

1 dead snail and one on its way

disaster999

i have 10 snails in my 14 gal tank. they've been in there for a month now and are pretty happy. roaming around the tank, doing an ok job cleaning.

so few days ago, i find myself with a turned over snail. upright him and thought nothing about it. looked at it the next day. the snail was right where i left him. he didnt move. same thing another day later. i tried sticking him to the glass, he did stick, then a few mins later, i find him on his back again. he died 2-3 days after that.

then another snail have the same symptom. he was on his back, flipped him...didnt move much, but moved more than the first one.

i tested my water,

ammonia 0

nitrite, dont have test for that

nitrate, 5ppm

ph 8.2-8.4

temp is 78-80

what could cause them to die off like that?

What type of snails are these?

Is they are Astreas, they can not flip themselves over on their own. It is possible the first one starved itself to near death (though being flipped over for a day or two shouldn't be bad).

One thing to maybe test for is copper. That will harm/kill invertebrates.

They look like margarita snails, which iv'e heard are colder water, and don't do well in captive water.

Yep .. they like cooler waters and don't last long in warm water.

I have 2 margarita snails in my 12g and they seem to be doingdoing quite well. They've been in there for around 3 months. I only got them because the site I used was out of Astreas and called me when I was in a hurry :huh: "Huh....Margarita? Reef safe? Cool. OK. Thanks." *click* lol

Archived