Cultivated Reef

Warfare?!!??

Dustin

Hello guys, dont mean to sound like a worrywort but I guess I am at the moment. I just bought a hammer coral, and have had a toadstool leather for a while. Here is the thing, I know that a leather is one mean sucker, and secretes chemicals. I also know that the hammer has sweepers. The thing is...I like the hammer 10 times more than the leather, just because it is bigger and looks way better. The thing is, will the leather injure or even worse kill the hammer? I have heard that using carbon will remove the chemicals from the tank, and will be picking some up very early tom. All help is appreciated. The tank is a 7 gallon minibow and has a 10 gallon fuge. All the params are good. I have the leather in the middle and the hammer near the overflow, opposite the only powerhead. If worse comes to worse and i need to get rid of one, I would rather it be the leather. Thanks a ton. All help is appreciated.

Bucket o Chum

You would prolly want to put the hammer closer to the power head and the leather near they overflow. This way the the leather and hammer are on different sides of the tank and leather's toxins aren't flowing towards the hammer. Carbon removes some of the trace elements in the water as well.

I have some carbon running in the sink now, trying to get all the black nasties off, they seem to be doing fine this morning so I am less worried. I moved the leather down to the bottom of the tank and he seems to be ok there. I am hoping that the carbon will do the trick.

Archived