Top Shelf Aquatics

What do you guys think of this starter kit?

mane3215

I have been interested in reef tanks for a looong time and have read about 3 books about 3 years ago. Used to know quite a bit about this stuff but forgot most of it =(. Time for more reading.

Any how, I figure a nano tank would be a good way for me to get into this with a much less cost then the 180g bowfront I want to start, and will learn me a lot in the process. I usually like to get things seperate, but this is tempting me. It is a setup for a 7 g aga bowfront. See the details at the link below.

7 gallon aga bowfront comb for 388.00

$129.00 Retrofit power compact light kit. <--- How much light and what brand type of bulbs, etc?

$15.00 Heater. <-- How many watts and what brand?

$15.00 Penguin Bio wheel filter. <-- Bio-wheel (yuck).

$10.00 Rio 50 powerhead. <-- Rios are not very well received.

$5.00 Aquarium starter bacteria culture. <-- waste of $5

$10.00 Ammonia Test Kit. <-- What brand?

$10.00 Nitrite test kit. <-- What brand?

What about the other test kits you will need? Is the Live Rock already cured? How do they ship? Is it fiji? Florida aquacultured?

$10.00 Salt. <-- What brand? What size?

I would get answers to those questions before purchasing. Personally you may be better off doing a little more research and getting the equipment and stuff that you know will do you right the first time rather than buying and replacing soon after.

HTH!

I would definitely shop around a bit more. Hard to tell, some kits don't even come with a tank!

Some come with Eclipse hoods, which mean you probably would want to buy retrofit lights to get more light, PLUS the eclipse hood/filter might not be good for this application. Look around this site!

Also, the Live Rock seems a touch pricey here.

I suggest doing a bit more shopping research into what you really NEED versus what is in the package!

Vince

I agree

You could buy everything you need seperatly at a lower cost

There are many things on thier list that leaves ya wondering and there are some things that ya just dont need

tank--50

powerhead--20

36w pc--50

15lbs LR--75

salt--15

test kits--30

hydrometer--7

what are we at here

$268

that is about $120 less than what they are selling the same thing for

Shop around and ya can most likely do it for less money than that

Good luck

I would also like to add that if feels more personable when ya piece it together rather than buying a kit

Thanks a lot guys, I'm going to do a bit of research and put this puppy together. I am just anxious to get it going =). I really need to read up ont his stuff again. I dread it.

Take Care.

Dennis_said

Hey Mane... that is a bit pricey...

I am currently cycling a 15g, and I have what I believe are great stuff in my tank, and a refugium out back... I paid about $450 for all this... and I know what I"m getting... I would personally shop at marinedepot.com or other online stores, and buy stuff from the sellers at this forum :)

I think you'd be getting a much better deal.

Thanks Dennis I have taken everyones advice and didnt go with this package. Infact I was shocked to see the 7g bow aga tank yesterday and my lfs for 60.00 so I scooped up on it. Will probably order some lights and a pump today.

-Chris

Archived