SaltCritters.com

crap crap crap crap

offsprg01

big issues with new lighting. i just upped my light by adding two more lights over my 5gal tank raising it from 38 watts to 76 watts. now all my coraline alge that is not in a shady spot has died off. grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!X) X) X) X) X) X) X) X)

i'm sure it's the lighting that caused this becuase it happedless than 36 hours after i added the lights. will the coraline alge ever grow back?

Orange Crush

maybe it's just me, and i'll be the first to admit i know next to nothing about lighting, but that seems like an awful lot of light for a 5 gallon. And it's possible that your coralline won't grow back but will just live in the shady spots.

76 watts over a 5.5 thats alot of wattage for a little tank like that. Not saying thats a bad thing. it actually depends on what your trying to keep. Coraline algae will grow back it might change color on you. Mine at first had a deep sheen of dark purple coraline algae it took a few months before the new coraline (a light pink that looks like pepto bismal) took over the tank.

so the more is better rule does not alwasy aply. i'm running four 19 watt 6500k bulbs (the screw in b2 base type from home depot) is this to much? if so how much sould i cut back. if i need to at all. i was planning of keeping shrooms and such. but not sure. i've just added half of my clean up crew, so i've still got time to chagne things up. i'm do'nt think i'm gonna be adding any coral until my alge comes back. wanna make sure everyting is stable first.

ok one more question. is this to much light over a ten gallon tank? if not i may just relocate every thing to a ten gallon.

sure wished i'd bothered to ask before i killed off the majority of my alge. grrrrrr...... oh well. least nothing but alge died.

Archived