Cultivated Reef

Skilter 250?

ELGORDOINAVW

ELGORDOINAVW

ok this is my first nano so bear with me. i wanted to purchase a skilter250 for the added benefit of having the extra circulation, place for carbon, and the built in protien skimmer. how good is the ps on a skilter? is it worth the investment or should i just use a aquaclear 200 i have lying around? is a ps neccesary on a nano? or will frequent water changes be sufficient?

heres my planned setup:

10 gallon tank

25 watt submersible heater

10 lbs sand "sugar size"

20 lbs live rock from my 45 gallon reef tank

aquaclear 220 w/surface skimmer attacment, or skiter 250???

lighting: not sure yet

1-32 watt lights of america pc fixture

2- 18" no flourescent actinics

in a custom hood

I have a skilter 250 but it's on my 46g bow front. I have it along with my Emperor 400 biowheel (FOWLR).

JJshiv's right. There's a lot of info here in the forum about PS vs. non PS.

But I'll tell you a bit about my experience with the skilter. First of all, I mainly use it for the extra circulation. I just moved and the darn thing died on me - after four years of working great. I think it's just because it set up for so long before I could get it back on the tank. Probably just the impeller. So I'm ordering some replacement parts (they're cheap or I'd chuck the thing).

You'll find plenty of mixed opinions on whether to use a PS in a nano or not. And you'll also find plenty of opinions about the skilter 250 itself. A lot of people call it crap and have done some modifications on it. I haven't but after searching through the forum, I've got some new ideas should I get the blame thing working again.

For extra circulation, it's worked for me. For skimming, I haven't really seen anything to prove it's a great skimmer. (But part of my problem when I started was listening to the LFS or I would've gotten a better PS for my 46g in the first place. I blame myself for not being more prepared when I began.)

Hope this helps at least a little bit.

yo, I ran a modified skilter 250 on a 10gal nano for over a year (before moving to a bigger tank). Anyway, with an airstone mod and a couple of other things the skilter is a great little skimmer for the $$ (IMO)

I made a surface skimmer box for it out of a kids school locker box I got a wally-mart for $1.40

skilterskimmer.jpg

-skeletor-

I did the air stone in a film canister mod, and I drilled some holes in the collection cup so it would overflow back into the return side. I had to do some other things to stop bubbles coming back into the tank using some baffles where the filter pads were.

you folks got me thinking I should bust it out and setup that 10gal tank sitting in the closet...

-skeletor-

Archived