Innovative Marine Aquariums

Magnesium?

ssamick

O.K. so I don't venture much over here in this forum, well because I don't think I'm necessarily ready, but here goes. My question may be stupid, but I was wondering is you guys and girls think that a Mag level of 900 to 1000 could be the sole cause of a sps tank that failed. The reason I ask is because over 6 months ago I tried my first sps tank. Too make it short I had all of the necessary proponents to be successful, but it failed. I recently bought a new sal mag test kit and tested the water with it (which no longer has sps) and noticed my mag was low 900-1000. My old kit Reef status mag kit said 1250-1400. All other paremeters like I said were good, wright lighting, quailtywater-mag, and so on and so on. So what are your thought provoking responses. Thanks from the four year still learning semi-noob.

Low Magnesium can prevent you from keeping your Ca levels up high enough to keep SPS from stressing... It is a possibility that this was the reason, but there are so many more possibilities that could keep you from truely knowing the cause. All I can say is keep at it and keep trying new things.

During my adventure I felt like I did everything right. And my CA was never low. O.K lets go a different direction. Lets say this a theoretical question and that everything is right but the mag levels. Is that enough to fail.

Simple answer No. However I don't know how you could have Mg levels that low and have normal Ca levels... It's just not a possibility, the water will simply not hold the Ca. Believe me I've faced this battle many many times... Every time I can't get my Ca levels up (no matter how much I dose) I check the Mg and sure enough it's low.

What's low CA? I never dropped below 380 to 370 and was normaly around 400 too 410. Thats with two deffernt kits. Sal and seachem. Although now that I think about it I tried like mad to get the ca up to 450 but never could.

I have always used IO or Reef crystals and recently starting testing the mag and it is always low. Somewhere between 1000 and 1100 at 1.025

Archived