Innovative Marine Aquariums

Making sand and fraggin' zoos - Grab me a beer!

SeaMountain

SeaMountain

Yeah my first zoo fraggin' night went well!!! :D I had some loose polyps rolling around and nabbed them up into a bowl filled with nano-water. Decided I needed some smaller rubble rock to mount them on so I checked my HUGE chunks of LR for just the right one to sacrifice.

Decided upon one about the size of a large orange with not too much life happening on it. Yep... It'd do... So I bust it out and wrap it in a dish cloth. Grab my True Temper 16oz Swing-Rite-Thumb-Buster and head for the street. (Don't want to bust my counters up whaling away on it bashing rocks!)

Doggone rock is fairly hefty and feels pretty solid so I wrap it tightly into the end of the towel - so pieces don't fly and shoot my eye out - and give it a HELL-OF-A-WHACK!!! :::smoke clears:::

I got's me some rubble I sez to myself!

Damn! I unwrap the rock and all I see is a pile of sand and four small pieces which survived the blast laying in the middle of the towel. Neighbors are staring out the window and the dog down the street is barking...

A pound and a half of LiveAquaria $88.00 a box Fiji Select LR turned into sand and four rubble-chunks the size of maybe half a golf ball. Damn. Note to self: Hammer L-I-G-H-T-L-Y next time! :D

Oh well... Back in the shack I go, grab the super glue, grab a polyp, drop on the rubble, drop on the polyp, slam'em together, set up for a few minutes and drop my new frag into the tank!

We be a'fraggin' now!!!

So now I have three new zoo frags with 3-4 polyps apiece on them. Legendary chrisaggie Sunburst and Chartreuse Zoos no less!

Ahhhh... time for a brew. This nano'ing hard work! B)

Originally posted by SeaMountain

Oh well... Back in the shack I go! B)

Sea...you should know better than this! You're setting yourself up for something here.

Just a friendly warning. XOXO!!

Originally posted by SeaMountain

All the shack smack... B)

LOL!!

Love ya Sea!!

Best way to handle loose shrooms is to put them into a very small tupperware container with some LR rubble and a net over the top and they'll adhere to the rubble within a week.

if you're using glue make sure you use the gel type of super glue.

I tried that tupperware trick with some xenia, and wouldn't you know it...the damn xenia attached to the wall of the tupperware!

Now I've got a tupperware frag. Gotta love it.

This is a great story!

Kinda reminds me of the day I wanted to split a piece of LR that had a huge toadstool leather on it. I wanted to put the coral in a particular place but the rock was too big. So, I went to the garage, put the rock on the vice/anvil and with a brickset and hammer gave it a whack. It split perfectly, in fact, it split so perfectly, and on the first whack that I wasn't ready. The rocks fell off the anvil and I caught the wrong one (ie. the one without the beautiful sarcophyton on it). Needless to say, when the coral landed (appx 36" down) it ruptured in multiple places and water started gushing out from all the tears. I was heartbroken. I rushed the coral into the house and returned it to the tank...sure it was dead. NOPE...that was over a year ago, and it is still going strong. Damn tuff coral. Tuff enough in fact that in a few days I'm gonna take the razor to it! We'll see how tough it really is!!!!

neighbors looking out the window? you don't have any neighbors within a 100 maile radius. nobody would live near you. it's been covered in the jct.

SeaMountain

We're in the midst of a good hijacking here! :D

Of course I gots neighbors Crak! And I've got the long TV cable and extension cords leading way over there too - to prove it! ;)

ngericke - I used the super glue which was hanging on the rack down at Sam's Store in Petticoat Junction. :D Actually it was Scotch brand Super Glue Gel. I've read in the past here to be sure it has 'cyanoacrylate' listed on the label.

The frags are doing well this morning. Leaning towards the window for sunlight, the PC's will come on about 11am.

The biatch is... I had to rescape and bumped around the Torch Corals. They are looking pretty weak this morning... Maybe they'll fill out once the lights come on. Might have to put them back where they started.

Now back to the JCT ya morons! Whaddya think it's there for?!?!? ;)

Archived