Cultivated Reef

Calcium reactors and trace elements

cjl

Corals in the wild use calcium and other trace minerals to grow. We know that calcium carbonate is "fixed into the coral skeleton but what else is. With water changes, is there any need for suplementation other than amino acids?

I question the use of amino acids as well. If you use a calcium reactor, I think you should be set as all trace elements are maintained in proportion in the crushed coral. As far as AA goes, is there any lit. that conclusively proofs its benefit?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, there's plenty of amino acids in the things we feed our corals. I don't really feel its neccessary or even helpful to dose things like amino acids in our tanks if we feed them adequately.

As for trace elements: If you use a calcium reactor with aragonite media (or something similar) you are simply adding dissolved coral skeleton to the water so that corals can absorb the minerals and make new coral skeleton. So, with the exception of iodine, you need not supplement any trace elements if you use a calcium reactor. (Iodine is absorbed rapidly by the livestock, skims out easily, and is quickly adsorbed by activated carbon.) The rest can be taken care of with regular water changes.

- Josh

Archived