Innovative Marine Aquariums

montipora health?

chvynva916

How do you tell if a plating (e.g. cap) Montipora is happy and healthy? Normally I look for coloring and polyp extension in other corals but I feel as if the best looking Monti Caps I have seen have less polyp extension whereas the polyps on mine are quite prominent. Any thoughts?

Mine always have good polyp extension when they're happy, and no polyps when I upset them somehow. Mine don't seem to change color much so I don't think that is a good indicator, (unless it's bleeching.)

that monti looks pretty happy in your tank btw..

Are you seeing a decent growth rate ? Mine are growing like mad, the largest one has put on about 1/4" in the last 3 weeks...

-skeletor-

1) - How have you seen my tank? I don't have any pics posted.

2) - That's my other concern, I don't feel like I'm getting that much growth, maybe 1/4" in three months

doh, sorry, I mistook you for someone else who had a photo on here a day or two ago of tank with a nice monti cap in it...

I keep my Ca around 480, Alk 4, Mg 1450.. I drip kalk at night which keeps my pH between 8.0 in the morning and 8.35 at night.

what are the tanks numbers ? (Ca/Alk/pH/etc )

They are on the left side up top about 7" from the lights. lighting is 4 x 55w PC (2x10K, 2xActinic) so the same w/gal as you..

I see more growth on the vertical edges than the horizontal ones, and they are in a moderate to high water flow area... there is a rio90 (behind that rio600) in the top left corner facing the front..

-skeletor-

tank061703.jpg

number are all good (ca=410, alk=10, pH = 8.3)

I dose kalk, Tech CB (a and B), phytoplex, zooplex, microvert, and I just started coral vital. I'm thinking the lighting is a part of it. I have 6 month old Catalina pcs which have noticably dulled, I just ordered new CSL bulbs. My montis look good, but don't grow. My pocillopora looks great, my table acro looks great (great extension), but my millepora is all closed. All LPS and softies look great. I guess SPS are kind of picky. I'll keep at it.

Archived