Top Shelf Aquatics

Water cycling questions. Please help.

sernger

Now I have readings of 0 Nitrate, 0 Nitrite, and like 0.05 Ammonia. I dont' know if I measured wrong, but that seems kind of odd since I started cycling Tuesday and the water is really stinking up the house. pH is kind of low at 8.0. So I was wondering if I did the tests wrong. And I was also wondering how I would go about raising the pH. It should be around 8.4 right ?

how is your salinity and specific gravity? that raises the ph some. also did you see an ammonia spike at the start of the cycle??

I didnt' start the testing till today. I also did a water change yesterday. And my salinity and specific gravity is 1.022. I am using a SeaChem test kit by the way.

And the live rocks I have are supposedly uncured, that's been out of the ocean for at least a week before I put them in my tank to start the cycle. So this cycle should take quite a while, as compared to cured rocks. An ammonia spike couldnt' have occurred and died off that quickly, can it? Should I continue to do water changes, or should I just let it be and not do a water change for a few days and deal with the smell?

Dennis_said

There's a lot of stuff to die out! And I've heard somewhere that you have to use your SMELL... if it still smells bad, it's most likely not ready :)

So....should I still water changes? I've heard that you can do water changes and you can go without water changes. If you do water changes, it will prolong the cycle while no water changes will result in a slightly faster cycle. And doing water changes saves some life and no water changes causes them to die.

And should I keep lights on ?! I hear that it helps spawn algae. Some say you can leave it on, and others say no...What do you guys think ?

I would do some small water changes exspecially if it is stinking up your house. Some stuff will live some will die, I had my lights going 4-5 hours a day through the cycle just because I wanted to see what was happening inside. You will have alot of Diatoms and Detritus afterwards, so get ready to syphon it out and clean the glass.

Archived