Pod Your Reef

T5 lights

Nishant3789

Nishant3789

hey i kno sahin will like this one if he hasnt already heard about it..... but in europe they have come out iwth this new lighting thats called T5. its 3/4 inch diameter, and it puts out more light than vho and PCs, not quite as good as mh but its still pretty darn good. dont kno much more about them.... anyone else heard of these?

nishant

Yeah they are a big thing here in the UK currently.

I have seen several systems in use by various LFS.

The bulbs are way cheaper than MH bulbs, £10 compared to

£60, but they dont output as much as MH.

IMO, they are rather like power compacts, with ourput slightly higher than VHO.

There are a few hobbyists here in the UK who are tesing these at the moment, so there havent been major purchases yet.

As for price of a typical system; for my tank MH would cost £200 for a complete unit, where as to get a similar wattage would cost about £350

IMO I would go for the MH, though t%'s output less heat than MH.

Guest AbSoluTc

I run T5s on my 28.  Actually thats all I run :)  Output is very high, however I don't know how it compares to VHO technically.  From what I see, its much brither.

Sahin -

Are there T5's 03 bulbs over there in the UK ?  Can you give me some info or search some LFS ?  If you don't mind, I can make it worth your while!

Kris

Nishant3789

absalut, where do u get t5 bulbs in the us? i thought they were only available in europe. how is the priceing in these bulbs?

nishant

Guest AbSoluTc

No, t5 bulbs are available in the US.  You have to LOOK for them.  There arent alot.  Also the color of the bulb is only 65k.  Which is fine with enough 03 supplementation.

They are cheap compared to VHO.  9" runs about 8 bux.  24" runs about 13 bux

Guest AbSoluTc

As you can see, the T5's are MUCH smaller than the T12 03 bulb to the right.  Problem is, there are none, if any T5 03 bulbs in the US.

bulbs2.JPG

Here is a full shot.  Yes that is alumminum foil I am using as my hood!  Still there too :)  It is very very bright.  This picture is also a BEFORE picture.  Its much fuller and aged now.

Full%20Tank.JPG

vanillabox

Note:  If you are one of those people who don't hate the Eclipse tanks (I have 2), then you are probably using a T5 light.  I have found them at my local petstores, hardware stores, and grocery stores.  

Archived