Cultivated Reef

tanks weight on floorboards

englishreefer

englishreefer

ok im sorry about this question being of topic, but has anybody got an idea of how large an aquarium you can keep safely upstairs without the risk of having an involentry shower whilst sitting downstairs.

but i can't find it..i'll link as soon as i do..had lots of enginering terms that are nicely defined for the non-technical types...

Summarizing the article, i believe that a 55 gallon tank would be no problem anywhere without worrying about floor stress...

after u go up to 125 gallons or so, a professional inspection of your floors is highly recommended ....

I've got a 90 sitting in my living room that hasn't fallen through into the basement yet. I did a little math this morning and figured that it probably weighs in at nearly 1100 lbs., including everything.

johnfruitbat

Thnx for your advice on my lighting i may be able to help you on this one as I work in the building trade.

The weight your floor can take is affected directly by the size of the joists in your floor. If you can take a floor board up you can measure the height and width of the joist. Its also wise to consider the span (length) of the joist. In a well built house they will usually measure AT LEAST 8"x2" although in houses like council houses they are sometimes less (cheaper).

If theyre 9x2 or 9x3 with a shortish (3-4M) span you could pretty much put what u like (within reason) but if its less there are loads of options for strengthening the floor up.

Hope this helps.

Archived