ReefCleaners.org

Do I need a skimmer?

reefdan

i have a 20L w/ a 15g sump/fuge. about 25 lbs of LR, 20lbs LS

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...st&id=30133

recently bought two monti frags (1x1) and a small acro (~3/4)

BTA, 2 clowns, bicolor blenny, coral beauty, harlequin shrimp (and accompanying starfish), bunch of zoos and shrooms, frogspawn

cheato and mangroves in fuge. 24/7 cycle.

i do 20% water changes every week (sometimes every 2 weeks)

DO I NEED A SKIMMER for the SPS to do well?

what's a good skimmer under $150 that's 5"x5" or 5"x10"?

someone gave me the coral beauty so i guess i'll cross that road in a few months. it's about 3" right now and it already feels big.

thanks for the advice

thanks, i see that at petsmart all the time. maybe they price match?

i think i'll check that one out. i spend tons of money on this hobby already.

you're #1 on the list for the coral beauty

thanks, i see that at petsmart all the time. maybe they price match?

i think i'll check that one out. i spend tons of money on this hobby already.

you're #1 on the list for the coral beauty

I would not recommend buying a sea clone skimmer, especially if you want an sps system. A simple search will confirm what a piece of crap this skimmer is.

Really you cant beat what you get for like $120-130 for that octopus NW110. It is a needle wheel skimmer which is far superior to venturi (as used by the sea clown skimmer).

The octopus would be better than the urchin. The octopus is a needle wheel skimmer while the urchin is a spray induction skimmer.

Needle wheel > Spray Induction > Venturi

The octopus is basically a cheaper Euro-Reef skimmer.

well, I dont have any complaints about the skimmer, it does what it's supposed to do.

Hey Dan! btw....i picked up a harlequin yesterday ( with accompanying starfish also) lol! i felt so sorry for the star but oh well. I will share some pics with you when i take em.

I think the statement to the affect that needle wheel skimmers are far superior to venturis is a ridiculous overstatement.

That's said, the link provided above directing you to the Eur-Reef Blems is worth checking in to. Those are great skimmers at great prices. For an in-expensive skimmer that gives you a lot of bang for your buck, you might also want to look in to the Precision Marine skimmers. They do an amazing job (and they're venturis).

But if you're going "needle-wheel" and you can get a Euro-Reef for the same price as the fore-mentioned Octopus, for G's sake go with the Euro. The build quality on those Octos is a bit suspect, whereas the Euros are first-rate.

I think you just need a CPR-BakPak 2 from CPR aquatics they run around for $130 for reg. edition and $130 for the reef edition (reef edit. has no bio media like the reg. edit.)

http://www.petsolutions.com/CPR-Bak-Pak-2+I12516130+C43.aspx

You could also do The coralife super-skimmer for $86 pretty good i hear but never tried

http://www.petsolutions.com/Coralife-Needl...333000+C43.aspx

fish_wiz, please do not give bad advice. we are trying to rule that out.

i highly recommend the rs-80 too. i ran that on my 29g and it was the best skimmer i've ever owned. dark and dirty skimmate all the time.

Tim

To answer your original question:

No, you dont need a skimmer.

There are tones of ways to solve your issue using natural methods as well. The best would be to get rid of the coral beauty asap... those fish are tremendious huge on bioload; and you probably wont be able to keep it in there for more than a year anyway. Also coral beauties have been known to eat coral every now and then, so keep an eye on that.

Other Suggestions are:

- more LR,

- slightly larger WC's

- increase size of cleanup crew

- etc, etc.

Its all about balance; check your parameters regularly until you understand the fluctuations of your reef from one WC to the next. Once your tank is established there should be no flux; and only a minor blip when do do the WC's. Eventually you should also be able to lessen your WC's volume and increase your timeline btn WC's.

peace out

fish_wiz, please do not give bad advice. we are trying to rule that out.

i highly recommend the rs-80 too. i ran that on my 29g and it was the best skimmer i've ever owned. dark and dirty skimmate all the time.

Tim

Sorry Tim still a beginner trying to learn from you guys but i was only recommeding because the rs-80 i hear is really good but some just don't have money.

heres my sea clone that you guys hate....I have 2 clownfish (small) and 1 cleaner shrimp in a 29 BC with a 15 gal .fugium...you be the judge if you REALLY need a skimmer

And this is the one everyone says works like crap...so imagine if you had a good one

post-31882-1194471895_thumb.jpg

You definitely do not need a skimmer. I've kept both my 18g nano and now my 120g skimmerless. I have a lot of fish and a lot of SPS, no problems. But then again I like to keep it simple.

i like to keep it simple too. i also don't like much maint. and i am hoping this will make me less nervous about forgetting a w/c every now and then

the tank's been up for a year and a half. one move from one side of the room to the other.

i can't fit the rs-80 in my sump or i'd jump on it. is the urchin my next best bet?

thanks for the help everyone

Archived