inTank Media Baskets

Mantis Shrimp are tasty!

Ben314z

117 members have voted

1. 1. Would you eat a dish that had mantis shrimp in it?

• Heck yeah!
    • No way!
    • Depends on the dish and how it was prepared.
    • Nah. I love the little guys too much. That would be like eating a pet.
    • Flake fed or wild caught? hehe
    • Sorry. I am a vegetarian/vegan.
    • I simply don't like shrimp. (added due to popular demand)

neanderthalman
In my personal opinion. The stomatopod is one of the most highly advanced animals on planet earth. They have 2 eyes per stalk, that can swivel 360 degrees, and see 16 diffrent colors in the spectrum. Humans only see 3, red blue and green. They have one of the fastest movements in the animal kingdom. In 1/126th of a second a mantis can generate enough power to actually cavitate water into an air bubble, hit his prey with his rapts, and the air bubble that was created also hits his prey, stuns it, and will go back to regular position. In 1/126th of a second! Also, they communicate using polarized light. Light the naked human eye can't see. They blink lights at eachother, no one has found out what they're communicating *territory, mating et etc* but that's how they interact.

I just went completely off the reservation. Sorry bout that. But now you see how crazy I am. Haha

You might want to check some of the veracity of your claims regarding the abilities of mantis shrimp. I can't disprove most of what you said, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that the crap about humans not being able to see polarized light is dead wrong.

We see polarized light all the time - most glare and reflections are at least partially polarized. That's why polarized sunglasses (oppositely polarized to the glare) eliminate the glare and reflections from water and glass.

One false statement puts everything else you said into question. For example, name sixteen distinct colors for me, please. Or tell me how much 'power' it takes to magically turn water into an air bubble. Cavitation occurs from a drop in pressure below the saturation point of the fluid, which causes vapour bubbles to form, not air. Has nothing to do with power, but with localized reductions in pressure.

I'll stop before I make you look like a complete idiot, but you should make sure that what you're saying is true before you hit the 'add reply' button.

Edit - I'd eat mantis.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HeyLookItsCaps
You might want to check some of the veracity of your claims regarding the abilities of mantis shrimp. I can't disprove most of what you said, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that the crap about humans not being able to see polarized light is dead wrong.

We see polarized light all the time - most glare and reflections are at least partially polarized. That's why polarized sunglasses (oppositely polarized to the glare) eliminate the glare and reflections from water and glass.

One false statement puts everything else you said into question. For example, name sixteen distinct colors for me, please. Or tell me how much 'power' it takes to magically turn water into an air bubble. Cavitation occurs from a drop in pressure below the saturation point of the fluid, which causes vapour bubbles to form, not air. Has nothing to do with power, but with localized reductions in pressure.

I'll stop before I make you look like a complete idiot, but you should make sure that what you're saying is true before you hit the 'add reply' button.

Edit - I'd eat mantis.

i can show you doctor roys studies. i read them every day. would you like links?

here

here

here

here

here

here

i guess i am an idiot? i only am transferring information ive read. sorry if i offended you

Mantis shrimp are known as pi$$ing shrimp in Japanese cuisine because they pi$$ everywhere when they're being cooked. I prefer a little bit of lemon with my shrimp.

neanderthalman
i can show you doctor roys studies. i read them every day. would you like links?

here

here

here

here

here

here

i guess i am an idiot? i only am transferring information ive read. sorry if i offended you

Pwnd!!

Id never eat my mantis.

But if I ate seafood and stuff Id probably eat one. I enjoy food :)

pwnd? I think not, noob.

What does this mean? You might be familiar with some commonly used polarizing filters—the lenses of polarized sunglasses. Often, boaters or fishermen will use polarized sunglasses to reduce glare off the water, enabling them to more easily see rocks or fish located under the water. Stomatopods have filters like these built into their eyes.

Mantis have polarizing filters on their eyes. That is all.

Caps, what you're confused about is that polarizing filters don't ADD polarized light, they take it away. So, things only visible through polarizing filters (like the red/white flashing) are always there. What we have is a mixture of polarized light and the unpolarized red/white signals. The polarizing filters remove the polarized "noise", leaving behind the unpolarized red/white signals.

The reason we cannot normally see these signals is not because we cannot see polarized light, it's because there is too much polarized light drowning out the unpolarized signals. If we filter out the polarized light so that we stop seeing it, then we can see the unpolarized signals.

Moving on to cavitation, none of those articles mentioned "air bubbles", they correctly refer only to "vapour bubbles" - exactly what I corrected you on.

Case in point:

While recording these images, we noticed cavitation bubbles forming between the limb and the snail. As a result of the limb’s extraordinary speed, the water cavitates (vaporizes) when the limb strikes the prey. Cavitation is a destructive phenomenon; when these vapor bubbles collapse, they essentially cause a small implosion in the water which produces heat, light and sound. For example, rapidly rotating boat propellers are often badly damaged by cavitation, to the point of developing holes in the metal.

Furthermore, someone can be an expert on stomatopods without a good understanding of physics - ie: polarized light and cavitation. Apparently someone can also surf forums without actually reading articles before attempting to use them to back up their claims. :rolleyes:

You're not "transferring information you've read". What you're doing is reading articles, partially understanding them, then incorrectly repeating things you didn't fully comprehend.

Thus, I am very proud to present you with the following award. You've truly earned it, champ.

Win-Assclown.jpg

neanderthalman, was any of that really necessary? vapour vs air, the whole polarized light thing, i mean come on, give the guy a break. you know how to research properly, good. you know how to support a claim, fine. but I dont see why you get such a kick out of this kind of behavior. you took a perfectly well meaning thread about stomatopod cuisine and turned it into a ####### match (no pun intended with the shako thing :D). You want to correct the guy, fine, but how about using a lil something called tact?

question. are you like this in real life too? or are you one of those people who really have nothing better to do than sit behind the impenetrable fortress of their keyboard and act tough over the net because no real harm can come to you? *shrug* i think it's a bit sad actually.

edit: huh. i never realised the word... well the one before "match" that refers to urination... was such a bad one to merit censorship.

neanderthalman

If you truly think I was excessively rude or out of line, hit the "Report" button.

Otherwise, STFU. I'll use tact when I feel it's appropriate, and not whenever you think I should. Got it?

If you truly think I was excessively rude or out of line, hit the "Report" button.

Otherwise, STFU. I'll use tact when I feel it's appropriate, and not whenever you think I should. Got it?

How about you can STFU, since clearly you have nothing to add & are an sad little internet-tough-guy. Snore.

Of course he doesn't do this in real life, he'd be spitting out his teeth.

Oh and FYI, you're a moron & super clueless, everything you said was ignorant garbage by an obvious collage dropout living with his parents. Good day sir. I'd be shocked if anyone reads a single word you write anymore. I sure won't be. =) Bye now, kiddo.

Ah, Ignore function, much better.

report you? lol, why on earth would i do that? ive been around here long enough to know nothing is going to happen... this isnt RC after all.

STFU? very mature.

Where's the "I just don't really like shrimp" option?

How about you can STFU, since clearly you have nothing to add & are an sad little internet-tough-guy. Snore. Of course he doesn't do this in real life, he'd be spitting out his teeth. Oh and FYI, you're a moron & super clueless, everything you said was ignorant garbage by an obvious collage dropout living with his parents. Good day sir. I'd be shocked if anyone reads a single word you write anymore. I sure won't be. =) Bye now, kiddo. Ah, Ignore function, much better.
Pot... Kettle... yeah.

Good morning travis. I always like to hear from you before you go to school. I mean that, not an insult. :)

That's the spirit Nman. Dissemination of bad info must be pinched off. Don't pull out and keep up the good work. ;)

HeyLookItsCaps

its cool you guys, no need to defend. this guy gets his rocks off by causing heat, thats cool. i gave everyone here the knowledge i have, accept it or dont. doesnt bother me either way. neanderthalman will move on to the next guy hes trying to piss off and forget all about this thread. let sleeping dogs lie

and im sorry i said the word "air" instead of vapour" pretty close to the same thing. sorry if i used the wrong vernacular

so in essence, since the world has alot of polarized noise, and a mixture of polarized and non polarized, we cant see pure polarized light with the naked eye without a filter of some sort.

800px-Paella_day_cornudella_de_mont.jpg

lol you jacked this photo from the last SCNRS BBQ..

Really? They had the BBQ in Spain this year? :lol: Lol No I didn't get it from the BBQ. It came from a spanish website. I will post the source when I get home tonight. I actually have a similar photo from my time in Spain (large community gatherings with huge ammounts of food are common there during festivals,) but they were making eggs in the photo I had, not Fideua, so it wouldn't have worked for this thread. Lol. That would be a great idea for the SCBRS BBQ this year though. Or maybe a burried pig luau style! hehe

neanderthalman
its cool you guys, no need to defend. this guy gets his rocks off by causing heat, thats cool. i gave everyone here the knowledge i have, accept it or dont. doesnt bother me either way. neanderthalman will move on to the next guy hes trying to piss off and forget all about this thread. let sleeping dogs lie

and im sorry i said the word "air" instead of vapour" pretty close to the same thing. sorry if i used the wrong vernacular

so in essence, since the world has alot of polarized noise, and a mixture of polarized and non polarized, we cant see pure polarized light with the naked eye without a filter of some sort.

You're getting closer. The signals that the mantis shrimp are using are actually unpolarized. What the polarizing filters do is cut out the rest of the light, which has been polarized, leaving the unpolarized red/white flashes.

definition of vapor.

here

You're using an about.com link to back yourself up? Dude, that's worse than wikipedia. :rolleyes:

Even your beloved Dr. Ron or whatever the hell his name was refers specifically to the bubbles as vapour. Why? Because it's not air, and he's not a dumbass. The contents of the bubble is water vapour - gaseous H20. Air is a mixture of nitrogen, oxygen, CO2, water vapor, and small concentrations of a number of noble gases (pretty basic stuff). The properties of the two are quite different. For starters, an air bubble cannot collapse like a vapour bubble, which is what directly creates the damaging effects of cavitation.

Am I busting your balls over a minute point? Yes. Am I correct? Yes. Is it important to correct misinformation? Yes. Can we decide whether a point of misinformation is too small to bother correcting? No. Why? What you may consider a small point, not worth correcting, might in fact be a big deal to someone else reading it. Thus, any and all misinformation, no matter how insignificant it may seem, should be pointed out and corrected.

If you catch me making minute mistakes, or big mistakes, I fully expect that you or anyone correct me as well. In fact, I demand that you do so. I'm hardly infallible, and I make mistakes all the time.

This is a direct implementation of the new "tough love" policy on NR. Get used to it.

HeyLookItsCaps

ritalin_o.jpg

easy turbo. take a breath or 2 im sorry i used the word air *a pretty basic term* instead of vapour. its called laymans terms. im not a scientist nor am i writing a thesis. im just talking to people. sorry if i mis used 1 word. would you like me to go back and switch it to vapor to untwist your panties?

lol i can practically see the smoke from your frenzied typing.

im done here. i have nothing more to say. you win i guess? later

• 1 year later...

That totally makes my teeth crawl and my stomach do a little flip or two....

If someone presented it to me and I thought it was lobster I would love it..

knowing it is a mantis shrimp would be waaayy too much for me..

:wacko:

Wow, now I'm really interested in these guys. I knew they were fast and had specialized eyes, but I didn't know to what extent they've actually evolved. Very interesting, and thank you for dumbing it down for me. The videos were excellent.

Would I eat it, sure. I have to admit that it might feel eating a pet. My mother has a lamp made out of a sea urchin, and that kind of ticked me off. I've had a pet urchin.

On a side note, why do some people feel the need to correct the comments of others? Most of us really don't care about the polarized light issue nor usage of the term vapor. It should have been debated privately in PMs. Why not argue over the amount of time it took Spock to digest and pass a grapefruit in episode #216?

Let's just stay on topic.

Archived